Menu

How does AAS teach the sound of final -y?

HappyGrace

Do they say the phonogram sounds for y as: Y, short sound I, long sound I, long e?

So the final y in a word like "baby" would be marked as number 4?

And if so, is it actually the 4th most common sound of y? Because I was thinking it would be more common than that.

I am from a SWR/PR background and have only used Y as having three sounds (the first three above) but I want to switch for younger ds to it making four sounds like AAS teaches, and I'm not sure if they use Y's long e sound as the 4th sound or what. I need to know this so I can figure out how we should mark final Y's. Any info appreciated!

NOTE: This younger son is my logical boy and he CANNOT get past the whole thing of final y making the short I sound (even after a year of it-he hates it!!) So I'm going to switch it to AAS's method.

Since AAS doesn't use markings, you wouldn't mark it anything. :D

It does teach 4 sounds of y, and the last one is the long e sound. It also says that that is the most common sound of y, so that's a bit out of order, I guess. It's taught in step 6 of level 4 and does all 4 sounds at that time.

It does teach 4 sounds of y, and the last one is the long e sound. It also says that that is the most common sound of y, so that's a bit out of order, I guess. It's taught in step 6 of level 4 and does all 4 sounds at that time.

Yes, usually AAS teaches the most common sound first, but not with Y. It may be that they say them in this order because it mirrors the order of the sounds for I, and I think those are in order. I know that helped my kids remember the sounds.

But the phonogram card of y (with its four sounds) is taught right away, in the beginning of Level One.

Maybe it's a little mneumonic to help remember where a "y" will say a particular sound in a word? Like, if it's in the beginning it will probably say "yuh" (unless, of course, the word is yclept); in the middle, it will probably say "ih" or "eye"; and at the end, it will probably say "ee"? I'm just guessing, here!

Edited by morosophe
to change pneumonic to mneumonic--Wow, I was tired last night!

Maybe it's a little pneumonic to help remember where a "y" will say a particular sound in a word? Like, if it's in the beginning it will probably say "yuh" (unless, of course, the word is yclept); in the middle, it will probably say "ih" or "eye"; and at the end, it will probably say "ee"? I'm just guessing, here!

That might work! :D

I really like it having the long e sound. I could not do "baby" with a short i sound. That just doesn't even make sense to me. I'm all for pronunciation for spelling, but that one is just a little too weird for me. :tongue_smilie:

That might work! :D

I really like it having the long e sound. I could not do "baby" with a short i sound. That just doesn't even make sense to me. I'm all for pronunciation for spelling, but that one is just a little too weird for me. :tongue_smilie:

We switched from AAS to PR but still use a fourth sound of y. :) We also changed the jingle: "I and Y can say /I/....but usually say /EE/."

The order makes sense for short common words that children are first learning. Y has the sound of long E when it is unaccented at the end of 2+ syllable words, there are more 2+ syllable words than short words. But, children learning to read don't see many of these 2, 3, 4+ syllable words.

Here are the percentages from my chart which is based on the most common 17,000 words in English in 1950 (not that different from today, actually.)

i gym 8%, I type 6%

at the end of a word: E happy 80%, I my 6%

I always just figured they did it that way since the i says <short, long, other> and the y says exactly the same but with the yuh first - easier to remember, I would think! All the regular vowels are taught <short, long, other>...

Yeah, because that's the first way you read them. So, the y would be read as a consonant first, then as short, long, other.

(For instance, you'd work on "yam" before "hymn" before "try" before "funny.")

I don't know what I was on the other night. :001_huh: