Menu

PE in Middle School

I swear I am cursed trying to figure out home schooling PE. Part of my issue is that there are two disabled adults and one kid. Everything suggested in various editions of TWTM have all been for people with a huge back yard and multiple children! There must be suggestions for apartment dwellers, or us rural folk?

So what are y'all doing for PE in the Logic stage?

While I have multiple kids, they're far too spread out in age (and athletic ability) to really combine them. :P

Last year, we did a combination of things: swimming at the Y periodically, participation in a low-key homeschool soccer league, and ice skating lessons. I'm making dd do C25K this summer and will require her to keep up running throughout the year. She'll probably do soccer & ice skating again, and I think we'll take November & December to do some nutrition/healthy lifestyle stuff.

We may use GS badges/interest projects as a guideline for some of it, too.

DD 12: Dance (tap and broadway); soccer; dog walking business;

DS10-Brazilian Jui Jitsu (2-3x a week) ; Baseball team (2x a week Mar-June), Football team (2-3X a week Aug-Oct)

Catch w/mom and dad; Does a strength training workout routine 2-3X a week (pushups, pullups, crunches, squats, etc or a Forza routine).

Usually has some outdoor outing one weekend a month w/Scouts -hiking, kayaking, rock climbing, bike trip etc.

Both: Walks w/mom often (I aim for at least one walk w/ each child each week for one on one talking); trampoline jumping; wii games, biking, spots and fitness badges w/Scouts, nature hikes, playground playing, historical sword fighting class (1x a week -April-Nov); Swimming as often as possible in summer; organized games at youth group at church; Survival class; Square dancing social w/lessons; Copes Course

Edited to add (now that I've looked at my log)

***Anyway Scouts badges are good way to do PE. You learn the rules, safety, equipment features, etc. We did these Belt Loop/pins/Badges/Patches this year.

Tennis

Physical Fitness

Swimming/Aquanaut

Hiking

Rollar Skating

Ice Skating/Winter Sports

Basketball

Baseball (DS)

Softball

Flag Football

Ultimate Frisbee

Bicycling (and DS is now training to work on the Boy Scout merit badge)

Archery

BB guns

CLimbing

We canoed a 12-mile river. We did the Couch Potato to 5K program and ran a 5K; DH and I taught a 8 week swordfighting course at Co-Op in addition the one above and they did that; We went bowling a few times. They took a rifle safety class; They took part in field day; We go to arcade and do laser tag, putt-putt, and batting cage a few times a year.

We also hula hoop and jump rope here a lot.

I have two personality types. My son has his regimented workout. He weighs himself daily and assesses his abilities every 30 days. He has to keep track of his weight for BJJ competitions. He wants to be on the top end of the weight class so he likes to know if he needs to lose or gain a pound. He's skinny as a rail so I worry about weight obession. He's systematic. He also does a lot of sports and his dad coaches. He likes adventure sports too but he always has a goal that he's working toward. Right now, he's working on doing a 50 mile bike ride so he has his benchmarks and his exercises, etc.

My DD isn't really into the sports. Soccer for fall and it's a social thing for her. She does recreational league-nothing fancy. She does sword fighting since the whole family does it and we let her bring a friend. She works had in dance and likes to dance at home and play Dance revolution. She is the one that likes to walk with me and she walks dogs now and likes to walk around the track with her friends when her brother has practice. I really need to get her going in strength training. She has zero interest though. Rock climbing keeps her strong (we climb about once a month). She likes adventure sports -especially climbing. I promised her that we'd do the homeschool rock climbing club next year. FOr her PE needs to be social and adventerous. She really isn't into doing a regimented program.

Edited by AuntPol

Trampoline jumping, hiking in the woods, hole digging, garden weeding in 100 degree heat, pushups for poor attitudes, sprints for poor attitudes, long boy scout hikes, swimming because it's hot, etc. :)

Oh yeah -we do a lot of those around here also!

There are SO many different things that can be counted! My 10 y/o daughter takes a weekly Judo class at the Y as an ongoing thing (she used to take gymnastics for a while prior to that). She occasionally went to a once a month homeschool P.E. class at the Y. She participated in a winter homeschool bowling league. She takes swim lessons every summer.

She plays the Wii and Wii Fit, she puts on music and dances around to it, she sometimes borrows kid's exercise or dance or yoga or whatever videos from the library and does them at her leisure.

Sometimes we go for walks together.

She is also active just in play. She runs around with her friends, rides her scooter, rides her bike, swims for fun in nice weather, plays at the playground, or sometimes at indoor play places and so on.

I will add that I only consider "PE" to be those things which aren't just active play--ie, actual education of rules or techniques, or building habits for life (because I know a lot of childhood activity won't necessarily be continued later in life!).

I will add that I only consider "PE" to be those things which aren't just active play--ie, actual education of rules or techniques, or building habits for life (because I know a lot of childhood activity won't necessarily be continued later in life!).

LOL!

MY PE in public school

Elementary (1-6): we had recess every day which was basically just playing on playground, jumping rope, etc. Occasionally we played kickball or dodgeball. PE teacher had 6 grades w/ 4 classes per grade at 6 schools so we had PE w/ him about once a month. All we did was play with parachute and do arm circles, etc.

Middle School -walk around a lot. Pretend to play a softball game occasionally. Really 30 girls playing softabll in about 30 minutes doesn't equate to much exercise!

High School-one year -it was done in 9th grade when 9th grade was still located at middle school so see above. Mostly we walked the track. Then of course, Health class was thrown in. We also had a gun safety course in PE.

Calvin did a lot of running round our village. I'm sure he walked a lot when I wasn't watching, but he always came back red-faced and sweating. He has now (outside of school) joined a running club and seems to be getting enthusiastic about it. His ball skills are still useless but he's fit. Oh, and he does a lot of messing about with logs (stacking, moving etc.) that we use for fuel.

Laura