Menu

Guitar curriculum?

KatDilan

We live in a rural area with no music teachers easily accessible to us, but I and my children would like to learn to play the guitar. Does anyone have a recommendation for an excellent self-teaching program? I have never played an instrument and have no musical background. So I will be learning from scratch myself and teaching the munchkins.

Please help!

For young beginners I really enjoy the Alfred's Kid's Guitar Course Books 1 and 2 (combined) , with Computer CD Roms (included)....and there is also a corresponding DVD to demonstrate each lesson for about 20 bucks.

You might want to check out this

http://littlekidsrock.org/what-we-do.html

I was an LKR teacher before I left the PS system, and their curriculum really does a good job of getting kids playing quickly and making it a lot of fun. It looks like a lot of the materials are available online, and it might be worth it to e-mail them, let them know you're a homeschooler, and see if they'd let you make a donation and get the teaching guide (which includes the student materials).

My father was teaching himself guitar with a video course. It was a few years ago so I don't remember the name. I'm sure if you google video courses for guitar study many will pop up. Videos are nice because you can see proper hand position and such.

Particularly if you are self-teaching, I think that you probably need a DVD. It took us a long time to even learn how to tune the guitar. Try to get the music store personnel to teach you how to tune the guitar. We recently bought a clip on tuner, which makes tuning so much easier. Try to get a really good guitar. My daughter has been using the Yamaha JR-1 which is a pretty good 3/4 size steel string guitar. Bad guitars don't hold the tuning very well.

Progressive Guitar Method for Young Beginners Book 1 has a DVD that might be helpful. Rainbow Resource carries it.

Mel Bay has a Children's Guitar Method that you can get a DVD to accompany the book.

If you have girls, the Girls Guitar Method is very similar to the Alfred Kids Guitar that Kirstin mentioned. It's just more "girl" oriented, which may be motivating. The Girls Guitar Method also has a DVD available.

Edited by Shifra

For young beginners I really enjoy the Alfred's Kid's Guitar Course Books 1 and 2 (combined) , with Computer CD Roms (included)....and there is also a corresponding DVD to demonstrate each lesson for about 20 bucks.

I liked the looks of this package when I was working out our plans for next year and this is what we will be getting also. It seems easy to implement even though I have had three years of classical guitar and more than that in music theory. It was many moons ago though so I will need to reteach myself also ;). You could also add the package of flash cards but they are not necessary. I am also looking at getting Alfred's - Music Made Easy: Guitar (CD-Rom), just to make our lessons more visual and interactive :).

Edited by Guest

:bigear:

My son has been begging for a guitar for months. I will be looking into these. My only instrument is my voice.

For a guitar, I am looking at a Classical Yamaha but need to check size (1/2 or 3/4). Adrian's grandfather wants to get that for him though. We already own a full size acoustic but the steel strings are not recommended for young learners and I would prefer we get one more appropriate for his size anyway.