Menu

Lightning Lit vs. Teaching the Classics

I'm trying to decide for next year (ds will be in 7th grade) between these two options. Does my choice basically boil down to this-- independent work vs. a parent-led discussion??

I haven't actually seen either program IRL, but I've gathered tidbits about both from these boards and beyond. And now I'm torn. So might I ask-- why did you choose one or the other... or why not either of them at all??

Junior high is unchartered territory for me, so I'd love any feedback you have to offer!!

And thanks :)

My ds did LL7 and enjoyed it. It was independent, which I thought was a fantastic, gentle introduction to begin going into other independent work. We did have some discussions at the end of the week over what he had covered.

We did not do LL8 though, because he didn't like some of the book selections and had read a few of the titles already. Instead we decided on Smarr's Introduction to Literature, which is also independent, but for high school.

For Teaching the Classics, it is really good, but VERY teacher intensive and personally I think you'd have to have the teaching DVD's to teach it.

HTH!

For Teaching the Classics, it is really good, but VERY teacher intensive and personally I think you'd have to have the teaching DVD's to teach it.

HTH!

I'm in a similar dilemma. I was hoping to avoid buying the DVDs, but FourOaks has also said it's kind of necessary.

We used LL7 and LL8 and this year (in 9th), we attempted to use TtC to discuss literature that I chose to accompany American history. To give you a clearer view of my strengths and weaknesses, I have a degree in math. I'm fairly strong in grammar and spelling. Weaknesses would be vocabulary, writing, history, science, and understanding "great" books. :tongue_smilie:

Does my choice basically boil down to this-- independent work vs. a parent-led discussion??

It's more than independent work vs. a parent-led discussion.

So might I ask-- why did you choose one or the other... or why not either of them at all??

LL7 is completely laid out for the teacher. Everything you have to discuss is all written down for you. Yes, it can be done fairly independently, but I always checked over all the work with ds. Some people complain about the worksheets and say that some of it is busy work (a little of it is and we skipped what I thought was unnecessary), but it was perfect for me.

TtC relies much more on the parent/teacher to choose the book, investigate the author, figure out plot/setting/theme/etc, AND the literary devices. For example, alliteration, understatement, hyperbole, oxymoron, personification, irony, foreshadowing, symbolism, to name just a few. For me, attempting to figure it all out on my own, then trying to discuss it with a monosyllabic teen, was not very successful.

LL7 was more successful here. At least it told me what to discuss with ds and we discussed it. There is a greater distance between the effort I have to put into TtC and the payoff the student and I receive than LL7. I hope that makes sense.

That said, if you have a strong ability towards literary analysis and/or a larger group for discussion, TtC may suit you better. Or you may want to consider The Well Educated Mind. Or you may just want to wing it on your own.

HTH!

Edited by Sue in St Pete

There are now several books to go along w/ TtC that gives you the questions and the answers and things to discuss. You can get a package deal called Ready Readers. You can also by videos for about 5 books to help you get started.

Thanks for this info. The Ready Readers look like they are more elementary level, but there are also Classics Club DVDs ($19) that each have a discussion class on a particular book. They have them for The Wind in the Willows, The Yearling, Huckleberry Finn, and Hamlet. We may have to try one of those this year.

Adding link: http://www.centerforlit.com/cc.htm

LL7 is completely laid out for the teacher. Everything you have to discuss is all written down for you. Yes, it can be done fairly independently, but I always checked over all the work with ds. Some people complain about the worksheets and say that some of it is busy work (a little of it is and we skipped what I thought was unnecessary), but it was perfect for me.

TtC relies much more on the parent/teacher to choose the book, investigate the author, figure out plot/setting/theme/etc, AND the literary devices. For example, alliteration, understatement, hyperbole, oxymoron, personification, irony, foreshadowing, symbolism, to name just a few. For me, attempting to figure it all out on my own, then trying to discuss it with a monosyllabic teen, was not very successful.

HTH!

A monosyllabic teen... oh, I can SO relate!!

Sue-- your explanation really makes this decision easy for me! Thank you for taking the time to explain the differences as you did-- I think I WILL check out the Classic Club dvds, just to be sure, but from what I'm gathering thus far, I think LL will be a much better fit here. Thank you one and all!!