Menu

AoPS questions???

We are currently halfway through Singapore 4A, so I've got a few years before we have to make the where are we going to go next decision. I'd like to have an idea of where we are going because I generally have to buy books a year or so in advance to avoid crazy shipping prices. I've looked at the samples of AoPS on the website and I have a few questions for those of you who use it.

Do you do any teaching or do you just hand the book over?

What is the preferred sequence for the AoPS?

Do you use anything else alongside of AoPS?

If you used Singapore before AoPS...

What AoPS book did you start with?

How did you dc make the transition?

Is there anything that we could do now that would better prepare us for the transition?

Thanks for any information you can give!

We are currently halfway through Singapore 4A, so I've got a few years before we have to make the where are we going to go next decision. I'd like to have an idea of where we are going because I generally have to buy books a year or so in advance to avoid crazy shipping prices. I've looked at the samples of AoPS on the website and I have a few questions for those of you who use it.

Do you do any teaching or do you just hand the book over? DD 14 does it independently including checking her own work. If there's anything she doesn't understand we go over it together and if we can't figure it out we recruit DH to help. :)

What is the preferred sequence for the AoPS? I'm not sure if there is one, although I think the intro to algebra book needs to be done first. FWIW, here is DD's sequence:

7th - Introduction to Algebra

8th - Introduction to Number Theory and Introduction to Counting & Probability

9th - Introduction to Geometry

10th - Intermediate Algebra

11th - Precalculus or Intermediate Counting & Probability

12th - Precalculus or Calculus

Do you use anything else alongside of AoPS? DD does LoF for fun, generally spending 10-15 min. on it after doing 45-60 min of AoPS. However, you certainly don't need to add anything to AoPS, it is very comprehensive.

What AoPS book did you start with? DD started with Introduction to Algebra.

How did you dc make the transition? Fairly well for DD 14, there were a few gaps to be filled in and AoPS was definitely a step up in terms of difficulty, but she thrives on challenge and has loved AoPS since day one. For DD 13 the transition was not so smooth. She's much more of a creative and artistic girl than a math one and AoPS was too much too soon. She is now doing NEM.

Is there anything that we could do now that would better prepare us for the transition? It really depends on your child. Doing the new AoPS pre-algebra book might be helpful before starting intro to algebra.

Thanks for any information you can give!

HTH :)

Do you do any teaching or do you just hand the book over?

I started out by handing ds the book because he has done Foerster Algebra prior to this. But I started to go over some key concepts with him from chapter 6 just to make sure he got it.

What is the preferred sequence for the AoPS?

According to AoPS, they recommend doing the Intro to Geometry last, the other 3 in the Intro series can be done in any order.

Do you use anything else alongside of AoPS?

I don't think it's necessary. Some of the challenging problems make my head spin.

What AoPS book did you start with?

Intro to Algebra. But we did a pre-algebra program and an algebra program before we plunge into AoPS Algebra.

How did you dc make the transition?

Very well.

Is there anything that we could do now that would better prepare us for the transition?

I think doing their pre-algebra will help. Also, just be aware that AoPS and Singapore teach math very differently. They both require lots of mental work, but AoPS uses discovery method while Singapore uses a more traditional method.

I'd also like to mention that while AoPS is a very rigorous program, it's not necessary the best for every child. There are people on high school board who thought it will fit their children well ended up switching to another math program after a few chapters. I think maturity, learning style, and the ability to deal with frustration (there are going to be some problems that they can't solve no matter how hard they try) play a huge role in the success of using this program.

Edited by HSDCY
change color

I started by handing over the book to my ds, but found that he could move a lot faster if I taught him the basics for about 5 minutes at the beginning of many of the sections. He checks his own work. Sometimes when he is stuck, I will try to come help, but it can take me so long to get into the problem that he prefers now to just look at the solution and figure out what he needs to do. The one thing that we have not done, that they recommend is to keep track of all problems where you looked at the solutions, and rework them independently 2 weeks later. I think it is a great idea, and plan to implement it in September.

You DO NOT need to supplement AoPS. It is a very complete and rigorous program. I have taught high school math and this program takes the cake. It is not for all students. The discovery method can be annoying and slow. But my son refused (and I mean refused) starting at singapore 5a to look at the text book or get any teaching or tips from me because he said it was "cheating." So he turned Singapore Math into a discovery program. The transition was straight forward but not easy. It would have been easier with the pre-algebra program coming out this year.

If your child does not like discovery, you can get a rigorous program by using another text (like NEM or Jacobs or Forresters ) but you must make sure to do all the investigations and puzzlers and challengers. They are the meat and bones of AoPS, but are often the icing on the cake in other programs.

Good luck,

ruth in NZ