Menu

Stuff, stuff, stuff!

I am tossing the minimum of 2 bags a week of STUFF - and enjoying it!!!

However, I'm befuddled as to what to do with a few things... things that I can't toss, but will only be in the home for a short period of time.

Anything we have to return to someone else goes on the shelf at the back door so we can grab it on the way out. These items are usually only there for a day or three, and are not a constant presence.

Bills to pay/invitations/etc go in a wire wall basket next to the calendar, and I go through with every paycheck to make sure only current items live there.

Library books have a shelf.

But what about:

The Nerf gun ds just bought, that doesn't work? I called Nerf to find out how to make it work, since I was oblivious to figure it out. It is broken, and they are mailing a replacement. Until then I taped the receipt to the container, with the confirmation number on it. But where to put it?????

The gift I have purchased and wrapped, but don't need until 6/1? It's sitting on my dresser, very out of place, but at least out of the way.

Neither item fits in my wire basket, yet neither really belongs in the home in order to have a "place", either.

I don't really want to have an "I don't belong" basket. :lol:

Doesn't bug me to have some things just "out," until they are used. I'd put the nerf toy in a closet (maybe a bedroom closet or a hall closet) or in the garage. The gift would probably go in our office on the floor or on a shelf in the closet. Actually, it'd probably stay on my dresser--or on the floor by it.

I'd put the gift wherever you store wrapping paper, ribbons, etc. The toy should go in your ds's closet. It is his so it should be taking up space in his quarters. ;) And might I add: I'm jealous. I need a good purging here and a home for everything.

I'd put the gift wherever you store wrapping paper, ribbons, etc. The toy should go in your ds's closet. It is his so it should be taking up space in his quarters. ;) And might I add: I'm jealous. I need a good purging here and a home for everything.

Good idea!

Paper and such goes under my bed in an appropriat plastic storage box, but I don't think I can put the gift under my bed, with the potential for dust bunnies and cat fur.

As for purging, I know we will have to move within the next 6 months, and we will be downsizing, so I'm trying to eliminate as much as I can. I started with 40 Bags for Lent, and I'm still going... :glare:

I would put the present on the shelf by the back door where you put the things you need to give someone. That seems to fall into that category.

As for the Nerf gun . . . I'd probably put that on a shelf in your son's closet if you have room. If not, you might want to create an area for things in limbo. I can almost guarantee you'll have a situation like this again.

I know you don't want an "I don't belong" basket, but that is what I have. :001_smile:

I have this one from Target, they go on sale pretty often, and I have a few of them around the house. I was originally using it for things that needed to be returned to a store (we always seem to have lots of returns :confused:) and it has sort of become a catch-all for things like you described. Right now there is a gift in it that will be for a party this weekend, a few things to return, and a couple of things that we borrowed from a friend. It is in the corner of our front room and I pass it often enough to remind me to pull the things out and take them with me if I will be heading in the right direction (like Target to return one of the items, or if I am driving right by a friend's house to take back her books). It is working for me.

I have been really working hard at everything having a place, so I know what you mean about the little things that are just passing through...:lol:.

Hope you find a good solution! Oh, and I agree with a pp who said the nerf gun can go in your son's room/closet. ;)

As for purging, I know we will have to move within the next 6 months, and we will be downsizing, so I'm trying to eliminate as much as I can. I started with 40 Bags for Lent, and I'm still going... :glare:

Wow! Good job! :party: