Menu

Apples and Pears Spelling?

Tabrett

Would you consider level A 2nd grade?

I saw that there were 67 lesson and each lesson had from 9-13 sections. How do you implement the book into a school year? Are you to do one lesson, one section or several sections a day?

:bigear:

I'm doing half a lesson (one page) each day. I'm actually using it with my 9 year old. I delay academics and it took forever to find a reading/spelling program that fit his style (the stuff we went through that SEEMED to work but didn't...:blink:) but Apple and Pears and Dancing Bears works like a charm and he's speeding through them.

I'm not sure how they line up with grade level.

Grade level is irrelevant...you can open the entire books on the website and take the mastery/placement tests. I would just keep testing until you get to a stopping point, and then order.

I start the timer at 20min, and work until it beeps...pick it up tomorrow where we left off. LOVE this!!!

Yes, there are 67 levels, and level has multiple 'parts'. We have no problem doing one level a day. Personally, I would feel anything less than that would not be enough to cement the concepts. One lesson takes us no more than 10 minutes. My son is a solid reader, although I suspect dyslexic. He struggles with spelling and handwriting.

As for grade equivalent, I'd say second grade at the highest. It starts out really slow with letter sounds and cvc words.

My son is almost 10 and we started at lesson 19 in book A. As others have said, grade level is irrelevant because the student learns root words, prefixes and suffixes pretty quickly, so the words are all over the map as far as "grade level" goes.

We almost always do a whole lesson a day. Sometimes we take a break before sentence dictation and come back to that later. Spelling is very frustrating for my son, and the dictation is difficult for him (poor working memory) but his ability has grown leaps and bounds through this program. We did Level A in about 3 months and went right to level B. We will keep working through the summer, and I hope to get through C and D next year.