Menu

Math help needed...

Penny_P

So ds9 has been plodding through Saxon 5/4, first edition, this year. As a background, he does have a ld and I suspect dysgraphia. (I write out most of his lessons to save like an hour of time to make it more like a worksheet for him.) His last test he got 13/20. When we went back over it he understood his pretty petty mistakes. I'm surprised how many new concepts are introduced at the end of the book and I'm wondering if the next level will have ample review built in, and yes, I'll try to find one of the earlier editions to try to remain consistant. He GETS most (although, frankly, not ALL) of the math, except when he's unfocussed and "off", but he's also easily frustrated. Math time, for the most part, is frustrating for him.

So...for next year- should I get something else altogether, repeat the last third or so of 5/4, or keep going to the next level?

Oooh, I don't know a whole lot about dysgraphia, although I do know it is a form of dyslexia, right? But not dyscalcula? (sp?)

You might try posting this over in the Special Needs forum. For the time being, I would say that going slowly through new concepts would seem to be important for him, and making sure he understands the concepts well, even if he has trouble with the numbers and symbols.

I know that Math Mammoth does have some targeted review books for some concepts, which might be useful. Another thing you could do is to assign even numbered problems, and save the odd numbered problems as a review for him at a later date.

Has he been formally tested for learning disabilities? In your shoes, I would be doing this in order to get more information about the specifics of what your son is dealing with. That would be a good starting place. Otherwise, you are shooting in the dark with the math issues. You could stumble upon what will work best for him or not. Speaking from experience here, I always had a gut about one of my kids regarding learning disabilities, but when the specifics were confirmed and explained through testing, I felt much more equipped to manage his learning.

My younger son is moderately dysgraphic. The best math approach for him (so far) was Teaching Textbooks using the Workbook + the computer. I have 5 children, 3 of which are schooling formally. This past year was the first year we were without a workbook (had the computer part, but no workbook with the new math at the virtual academy). It was torture (for us both). It's more writing than my son can really do (he's writing is now about a year behind grade level, his grip is still a bit immature, but there is definite improvement from where we began.)

Next year, he will be doing Math Mammoth (since we can use it like a workbook, and there are extra worksheets I can print off, or have him play some math games as well), if that doesn't work well for us it will be back to TT or Kinetic Textbooks. I really want him able to copy and write full problems before he hits Algebra 1, so that we can use standard books.

But, I don't have time to spend writing out his math anymore (one year of that was more than enough). I have 4 being "formally schooled" 2011-2012 (which starts June 6 for us).

Anyhow, that is what we are doing.

I do agree, that if you suspect an additional LD, you should try to get a DX... because that could impact which program(s) would be best. My experience is limited to dysgraphia.

Thank you again for your responses. I guess a change is in order for my poor ds. He really seems to have "on" and "off" switches. I've found low blood sugar is definitely one, but there seem to be others and I haven't figured it out. He did have an IEP for reading/speech at the ps, and he is actually due for a new evaluation. I would like him to get a psych eval, as well. Now that summer break has started it probably won't happen until October.

CLE looked good, but I'd prefer something secular, or more subtle, like the Horizons I got for dd. I enjoyed your blog on TT. It looks like a good program; however, I would be concerned our poor old computer might rebel. Sometimes I'll put in a game or something and the computer just shuts down. Maybe I should just use Horizons for ds.

The public school here will do thorough testing if you ask for a "full and individual evaluation", which are the magic words. If he is due for restesting next year, ask for this. My son has an IEP, as well, as a homeschooled student receiving speech and OT services. His testing included a WISC and a Woodcock Johnson educational test. It was very thorough and gave enough information to guide us in helping him. Hopefully you will have the same results.

Thank you again for your responses. I guess a change is in order for my poor ds. He really seems to have "on" and "off" switches. I've found low blood sugar is definitely one, but there seem to be others and I haven't figured it out. He did have an IEP for reading/speech at the ps, and he is actually due for a new evaluation. I would like him to get a psych eval, as well. Now that summer break has started it probably won't happen until October.

CLE looked good, but I'd prefer something secular, or more subtle, like the Horizons I got for dd. I enjoyed your blog on TT. It looks like a good program; however, I would be concerned our poor old computer might rebel. Sometimes I'll put in a game or something and the computer just shuts down. Maybe I should just use Horizons for ds.

Ah, that stinks. Although, of course, a computer game is way more intensive (with regard to graphics, animation and so on) than math CD's would be, I'm sure!

TT may be a great idea - it still has lot of review/spiral, and less writing. We switched to MM after 5/4...went back a level to their grade 4, and slogged through it together - now things are MUCH better...I hate the way saxon is easy,boring, easy, boring then super hard at the end of each book...my perfectionist with LDs would be cruising along, then be paralyzed with his inability to grasp a new concept a day...

TT also teaches them to correct their work right away - if they get it wrong they get the "I'm sorry, that's not right", and a chance to try again. I have mine call me each time that happens, and I watch them do it - to see if its a stupid mistake or concept...over the year that's made a huge difference with calculation errors and diligence. I also expect a 90% average to move on to the next level - so if we aren't getting one, I supplement AT THE TIME of the problem...mostly MM or drill, LoF, stuff like that.

Math really needs to be understood to move on. Almost all kids can get through pre-algebra, with a good understanding, if given a chance, and who knows, with the right program and proper tutoring if needed (after full testing, I'd say...) your child may really thrive!

Erin