Menu

What can I add to SOTW 2 for my 5th grader?

5sweeties

We have settled on SOTW 2 for next year. I will be using it for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th graders. My 5th grader loves history, and I think I could have have her step up and do a little more than SOTW on its own. We LOVE SOTW though, (this child in particular has a great love for it) and I want to keep her with us on that. (I read aloud, we do a large portion of the AG.) This dd is a young 5th grader, both in age and in academics. While I want to give her more to accomplish, she won't do well if I over load her. She reads only about one year level ahead of her grade, and is a recovering-reluctant writer. She loves the accomplished feeling of reading literature...maybe Truthquest for its booklist would work for her? Our budget is very, very tight for this year...so nothing too pricey, like TOG.

TIA!!

I also have an upcoming young 5th grader.

He will listen in on SOTW with his younger sister, and then read and outline according to TWTM from Kingfisher. Kingfisher is reasonably priced, and I think the way SWB describes outlining for 5th grade is pretty doable.

He will have a timeline book of his own to add to, and we will all do mapwork together.

I'll be watching to see what others suggest.

I second adding Kingfisher. It's very easy to outline the 5th grade way (just the topic sentence in each paragraph, if memory serves).

Keep a timeline, too--we just add in a picture off yahoo images to both notebook pages and the timeline, since it's so cheap (I don't pay for the ink!). In fact, you can even use the stuff on lulu (Hannah made them)--there are really nice, colorful cards and timeline cards, which you can print on cardstock or even regular paper, and cut out, then add to either a long strip of paper, or a timeline book made out of construction paper. Easy-peasy!

If you have a copy of WTM available, you could take her reading out of that--maybe just a few, and add them to the read alouds you will be doing.

Have fun! We loved SOTW this year!

I also have an upcoming young 5th grader.

He will listen in on SOTW with his younger sister, and then read and outline according to TWTM from Kingfisher. Kingfisher is reasonably priced, and I think the way SWB describes outlining for 5th grade is pretty doable.

He will have a timeline book of his own to add to, and we will all do mapwork together.

I'll be watching to see what others suggest.

Amy,

What mapwork will you be using? Does it go along with the SOTW history?

I see in WTM is says have the child colour the appropriate page from the Geography Coloring Book, but I can't figure out online if it's a historical map book or not. I was just going to use my Knowledge Quest maps again (upcoming 5th grader here, too) - but still wonder if there are more detailed historical maps out there somewhere....

Our plans for 5th are very similar to yours - I'm just wavering between having ds outline KF or SOTW.

Oh! Try this!

http://www.primaryresources.co.uk/history/history.htm

Go to The Tudors for Henry the VIII

http://www.royalpaperdolls.com ................. These are cool

You could use these dolls by printing them smaller for booklets etc.

My blog http://historyandbeyond.blogspot.com

I have alot of sites on there but the Henry the VIII sites only go to the main primary resources website (I didn't realize you are not allowed to post a link to their files. You can bookmark them, though). Use the site I wrote above.

I'll try to go through my bookmarks tonight but we are getting ready to go away until the next week. So, if I do not get back to you I will after Wednesday.

I hope this helps you.

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions! I have KF here, and I looked up the outlining instructions for 5th...that looks perfect for her. We will add some lit. to that, and the time line from Hannah (LOVED the one for this year!), and do our mapwork.

My only question is on the maps in SOTW 2...I haven't seen them yet. Are they appropriate for a 5th grader, or do I need to find something more detailed?

It is great to know that I'm not alone in combining my 5th grader for SOTW!

I just wanted to mention that sonlight uses SOTW 1 and 2 in their core 6, maybe you could look at the books used in that core and find some that might be good.

I also wanted to second the recommendation of Famous Men of the Middle Ages, it has a chapter for each person covered, even one for Joan of Arc, although, I wouldn't consider her a man.:001_huh: You might also want to add the Greenleaf Guide that goes along with this and the Cultural Atlas of the Middle ages. You can purchase all these through Greenleaf Press or you may find them on the for sale boards here as I see these books listed from time to time.

A couple of other books your 5th grader might enjoy are Castle and Cathedral by David Macaulay, in fact all your children might enjoy these. You could probably find them at your library and just let them browse them sort of book basket style.;)

She might also enjoy some of the paper dolls from dover, they also have a nice paper castle model book.

My only question is on the maps in SOTW 2...I haven't seen them yet. Are they appropriate for a 5th grader, or do I need to find something more detailed?

I think they would be fine for a 5th grader, but you could alter the suggestions a little if it isn't enough work for her. My ds loved the maps, but he would also do a little more work (labeling different countries or coloring different counties in Ireland for instance)

I also had my olders look up the countries we were studying in an Atlas. What is that region like now? What are the capitals? My son always found it interesting how political borders changed, how the land developed over the years, etc. But, he is a map kinda kid. He'll make up his own in his free time. :)

You can use the maps in SOTW, but also add in details from the maps in KHE.

Every now and then we'll also look in the Atlas (we have one with lots of pictures and cultural info). When you use the Atlas, you can also add in mountains, rivers, deserts, seas, etc.

hth,

Rhonda