Menu

Lial's, Jacob's, or BJU algebra?

I can get BJU Algebra locally. On occassion, I have seen Jacob's or Lial's (both versions) come through the local used book stores. I am certain if I held out, I would see them again. But when I saw ALL these books at once recently...I was so excited..but paniced! I had no clue which one was the most thorough program!! My DD is great at math and makes 100% on standardized testing (of those attempted, which puts her at 99th percentile of course).

I had leaned toward Jacob's..but then I saw the copyright date was 1979 and now I am so worried it might be out of date or not have some content on it needed for the SATs or such. Now I am back to being unsure what to use. BJU is the cheapest and I can get it locally with ease, it is always in stock. So now I wonder if I should just get that one. As far as Lial's goes, other than happening upon it at the local stores, or search sale and swap boards, I am not sure how to get those sets. Please help.

BJU is a teacher intensive course. The text does not have 'all' of the teaching--it requires a teacher or videos.

Jacobs is a good program but only covers Algebra 1 and Geometry.

Lial is a good program (what we use) but a different Geometry program is recommended (they have a Geometry but it is a bit dry and there is not a video options since this book is rarely used in community colleges--as Geometry is not 'required' for upper maths).

All three series that you mentioned will prepare the student for the SATs.

Lial is probably the cheapest program with an optional video component. You can get new (7th edition) texts for under $10 shipped, solutions manuals for around $5 and videos (for computer) for $35. Somtimes you can find 'bundles' for less.

Pro

- incremental; gentle

- great job of giving interesting, real life, tangible example of each concept in every lesson

- good at helping to make the abstract math topic of algebra more concrete

- very self-teaching

Con

- there is a teacher book, but not as much additional info in it for teaching as some might need

- answers in the back of the text and in the answer key, but not solutions worked out (I never found this to be a problem for us, though)

No problems using a 1970s-1980s version of Jacobs here. Of course, we haven't gotten to ACT and SAT testing yet. Son was 8th grade (14, turned 15yo, the year he used it.) Just our experience. : ) BEST of luck in deciding! The nice thing is, that all 3 you listed are great programs, so whichever way you'll go, you'll be fine! : ) Warmest regards, Lori D.