Menu

Personal "signature" recipes?

Do most people have one - a recipe that they make that everyone loves and gets excited about when they make it?

My friend makes this fantastic green chili and it's kind of her "signature recipe." Another one makes great Mexican rice, yet another it's always fantastic desserts. My MIL makes fabulous salads.

I was thinking about the stuff that I cook and it's always so meh, nothing to get excited about. When I have to make something for an event, I always stress and can't decide what to make, where as some people just bring their signature recipe that everyone loves.

So is it common to have a "signature recipe"? Should I try and find one?

I didn't try to have a signature recipe, but there are a couple of my family's favorites that I feel are yummy enough to share :tongue_smilie:

One is my mom's homemade spaghetti sauce - I give it with a box of uncooked noodles, a loaf of French bread, a bag of Caesar salad, and some cookies.

The other is cream of wild rice soup - I give it with a salad, popovers, and dessert.

Is there one dinner that your kids or dh request often?

My siggy recipes are for finger food type stuff, either appetizers or dessert.

Clam dip with assorted hi carb dipping devices

Beef rolls

Siu Mai (although I have made this in quite a while)

Chocolate chip bars

Sugar cookies from the Beat This cookbook

Cinnamon Diamonds

My secret weapon recipes that I love but can't bring to potlucks are:

Chocolate silk pie (because it has raw egg in it)

Steak au Poirve Vert (because it has to be flambeed fresh each time)

Rice Pilaf (because it just looks like white rice so no one tries it, although if anyone DOES try it, they come back for seconds and thirds)

Artichokes (they are best hot but drained, not easy to share)

Barbequed hamburgers (I have a very special recipe but they must be eaten right off the grill)

If I must bring something 'normal' that is eaten with a fork, I select one of these:

Veggie canneloni from the Moosewood low fat vegetarian favorites. Takes forever to make, though.

Cabbage and apple salad (the cabbage is just barely cooked, still crispy)

A big, wonderful mesclun salad

Veal rolls (what a pain, but they are good, and the last thing you do to them is simmer for half an hours, so they are easy to keep warm without overcooking)

Spinach, dried cranberry, and goat cheese salad with fruity dressing

Chicken drummettes with honey/5 spice powder glaze.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

Pavlova is apparently mine. They aren't common here. I didn't set out to have a signature dish, but I realized that it - and apparently all desserts - were associated with me when one of my friends who used to work in a bakery was talking about having a Super Bowl party and her husband asked if I could bring the desserts. :001_huh:

Another friend of mine is well-known for her bacon-covered cheese ball.

Just look at cookbooks, check out some at the library and experiment!

I also love allrecipes.com because there is lots of feedback from others and you can avoid a lot of trouble this way.

I have found several new "go to" recipes this year alone!

Hey, maybe cooking isn't your thing, that's fine too!

I'm sure there is something that you wow people about in another area.

Lara