Menu

Help with Jacob's Algebra

Who ever finishes a whole math book? I had a tutor to help my 2nd dd through Jacobs, and they got through about 2/3 of the book, although I drove my first one through the whole thing, to no real avail. You should write to Mr. Jacobs and get his opinion on this. He is so approachable. I asked him which exercises a student really needed to do, and he sent me a list of assignments for "regular" and one for "honors." He agreed with my child's tutor that doing everything was overkill. askharold@whfreeman.com.

I did the entire thing with my oldest. She did sets 1 and 3 in every lesson. She only did set 2 when she did horribly in set 3. I think I had her do two of the 2nd sets in the entire book.

My middle dd only got halfway through Jacobs, but she was working through Jacobs and Kinetic Books at the same time and decided that she'd rather just do Kinetic Books.

We used the syllabus from Dr. Callahan also. It's available to download free here: http://www.askdrcallahan.com/hwhdocs/Algebra1TeachersGuidev4r010610.pdf

Also, I remember seeing in the front of the Jacob's teacher's key a suggestion about which chapters and lessons could be skipped if one was not pursuing an honors track. That helped us decide how to narrow the Dr. Callahan syllabus further.