Menu

Ever get to feeling like...just what do I think I'm doing?

Working on planning my son's senior year when all of a sudden it hit me--if he's not prepared for life, I'm the one who's responsible. What on earth ever gave me the idea I could teach him everything he'd need to know to succeed in life? I'm feeling like suddenly this is all too much for me. How do I know if I'm on the right track? And what do I do if I'm not. It's a little late to be starting over at this point. Help!

:grouphug:

I feel the same way all the time.

Ultimately, you did what you thought was best and gave what you were capable of at the time.

I tell myself that my ds will learn and gain experience for what he is meant to do. When it's time, it will be his turn to take over his own life.

All the time! One thing a friend of mine has done is have her kids work to date evaluated by a teacher who is very knowledgeable about high school curriculum, credits and transcripts. The evaluator picked up on holes her son had in his courses that might not be a requirement in the state for graduation but would definitely help him get into college. She also helped group some of the more short term things he had studied into a class for a credit. I am seriously thinking about having this evaluator take a look at my sons work.

Ever get to feeling like...just what do I think I'm doing?

Yes!!! :tongue_smilie:

Especially when I look back and think on what I could have done or should have done. I can only imagine when I look back on high school. :001_huh:

But then I think about what would have been if she had stayed in school, and it all seems okay. :)

I felt this way.....until my oldest daughter graduated #7 in her class ...with a 3.98 gap and dd # 2 has a 4.0 cu. I. Her jun ior year...and my ds's are both going to college, are fine young men who are not ever in trouble, have beautiful manners...are not weird....and they are also doing well in their higher learning.

I made tons of mistakes...I never finished what I set out to finish...I never felt like I was doing enough...but I did my best...and at some point, God met me and them too.....

I tried to be faithful to my calling....and even though I am never quite where I think I ought to be by now.....I am where God put me and here I will try and bloom....and have my little garden of fruit will flourish....

Faithe

Yes---especially as I fine tune things with 9th ds!

But......I'm not worrying too much simply because not only did my parents NOT teach or prepare me for everything----neither did my great private school. We are just doing the best we can, giving our children wings...not necessarily jet engines. Life is a journey. ;)

I am feeling this way especially now with a rising 9th grader. However, I know that God has called me to do this. My dh reminded me the other day that it is fine if our children are not the BEST in evey area. Not all learning is completed by 18,.....or 21, or 31...LOL!!! For us, the MOST inportanat part is our children's character and their relationship with Christ. I do not mean that we are not pursing a highly academic homeschool, but the "gaps" will be filled in as they grow and mature (even after they have graduated :D). Now I just need to keep reminding myself of this!!!

Blessings,

Michelle

I felt this way.....until my oldest daughter graduated #7 in her class ...with a 3.98 gap and dd # 2 has a 4.0 cu. I. Her jun ior year...and my ds's are both going to college, are fine young men who are not ever in trouble, have beautiful manners...are not weird....and they are also doing well in their higher learning.

I made tons of mistakes...I never finished what I set out to finish...I never felt like I was doing enough...but I did my best...and at some point, God met me and them too.....

I tried to be faithful to my calling....and even though I am never quite where I think I ought to be by now.....I am where God put me and here I will try and bloom....and have my little garden of fruit will flourish....

Faithe

This was beautifully and sincerely said. Thanks for sharing!

I have children in their 20s. Don't worry. The teaching doesn't stop GRIN. You have to prepare them to survive college, not life. Then you deal with how to do things like renew your driver's license or buy a house as they come. Or if no college, you have to teach them to survive their first job. You can help them find an apartment and get it set up, and then be available at the other end of the phone when new things crop up in their lives.

But I have that feeling all the time about the teaching them enough to survive college part.

My big advice - teach them to STAY ALIVE by driving safely and wearing their sunscreen, life jackets, seatbelts, and helmets, and checking for ticks. Teach them to STAY HEALTHY by avoiding life's worser temptations and addictions, finding good friends, feeding themselves adequately, and getting some excersize. Teach them to BE GOOD and not do anything unkind or illegal. Believe me, with older children, the rest of the things you are supposed to be teaching them seems really unimportant compared to getting them to stay alive. They can learn all kinds of things later in life, but NOT IF THEY ARE DEAD. (Yes, I am yelling. Sigh. My children are ok, at least at the moment, but they struggle with the various emotional horrors that have happened to their friends. Some of the stories make you afraid to breathe.)

-Nan

I have children in their 20s. Don't worry. The teaching doesn't stop GRIN. You have to prepare them to survive college, not life. Then you deal with how to do things like renew your driver's license or buy a house as they come. Or if no college, you have to teach them to survive their first job. You can help them find an apartment and get it set up, and then be available at the other end of the phone when new things crop up in their lives.

But I have that feeling all the time about the teaching them enough to survive college part.

My big advice - teach them to STAY ALIVE by driving safely and wearing their sunscreen, life jackets, seatbelts, and helmets, and checking for ticks. Teach them to STAY HEALTHY by avoiding life's worser temptations and addictions, finding good friends, feeding themselves adequately, and getting some excersize. Teach them to BE GOOD and not do anything unkind or illegal. Believe me, with older children, the rest of the things you are supposed to be teaching them seems really unimportant compared to getting them to stay alive. They can learn all kinds of things later in life, but NOT IF THEY ARE DEAD. (Yes, I am yelling. Sigh. My children are ok, at least at the moment, but they struggle with the various emotional horrors that have happened to their friends. Some of the stories make you afraid to breathe.)

-Nan

:iagree::iagree:

These awful accidents to promising young adults happen ALL too often around here---so common sense survival is definitely a subject we talk about...OFTEN. ;)

-Nan

I agree. The alive thing is all important. I shudder sometimes when I find out what my seemingly intelligent children have gotten themselves into out of innocence or out and out stupidity.

Who knew you had to teach a kid to change to oile in their car so they don't blow the engine....or that the car needs to be inspected annually or they will get a ticket.....oy vey.

Faithe

SheWhoWaits, thanks for starting this thread. Mommyfaithe and Nan in Mass--thank you both for sharing your thoughts. I don't get over here too often any more, but happened to find this thread at a time when I really needed some perspective.

I started homeschooling thinking I could surely do a better job than the public schools. And I have...for my older son, because he is like me and we understand each other.

But I worry about my younger son. He is academically gifted, but unmotivated and disorganized. It's a good thing we started high school level classes in 7th grade because we're just barely going to finish before he turned 18. He informed me that he will drop out if he does not finish by the time he is 18. And I think...what have I done? Maybe I should have swallowed my pride and admitted that I could not teach this child.

Thanks for posting this. I do feel this way on a regular basis and people on this board are sometimes impressively intimidating in their level of accomplishment. Right now, I feel like "Oh, no! We haven't done enough! HELP!" Other days, though, I look at my kids, think they are wonderful and am sure they will be fine. Right?