Menu

Necessary to supplement CLE LA for a really good speller?

diaperjoys

My 7yo 1st grader is spelling very, very well at his private school this year - he's finishing up a year of Saxon Phonics & Spelling, and gets 100% most of the time, occasionally misses a word here or there.

We've been planning on CLE LA for 2nd grade at home. The spelling portion looks way, way easy to me. Is there any need to supplement that? I don't want to hinder his learning, but at the same time, we'll have 2nd, 1st, K, and pre-K next year, and I need to keep things streamlined.

Any input??

Well, since no one has replied, I tried to examine CLE LA a but more. I think there is enough emphasis on spelling there. I was thinking of maybe adding in AAS, but when I looked at the sample pages of AAS, it looked like the very same rules we are covering in CLE LA.

Since you dc is already a good speller, I think that the one program is adequate. Spelling hasn't quite clicked as it should for my dd, so I may still get AAS to supplement, but for a good speller, I think you're ok with just CLE LA.

No, it isn't necessary to supplement. The lists are fairly complete and while they seem random they usually follow a pattern. In 2nd grade the list consisted of words from the current spelling rule, a couple review words, a rule breaker, and usually a day of the week or month of the year. I wouldn't bother with supplementation for a child that does fine with spelling in their writing. But DS is not a natural speller so I will be supplementing.

My daughter started CLE partway through 1st grade after I'd already done almost 2 years of SWR with her. In 2nd grade, we just did CLE LA until about January and then I quickly went through the 2nd grade SWR lists with her. I noticed a real improvement in her reading and spelling. I had planning to do the same this year, in 3rd grade, but have found that she doesn't need a boost from SWR this year. She is spelling and reading well above grade level at this point.

So, I would say, it's a good idea to continue with a more phonics-based spelling program through at least 2nd grade if you aren't using a reading program anymore. For us, I am finding it's not necessary after that for my natural speller.

Lisa