Menu

Can you talk to me about Critical Thinking Companies math programs?

If you had to choose 1 or 2 math programs to supplement regular math with, what would you chose? My kids are good in math, but not at all advanced. I want them to have a good, deep understanding of math concepts.

Crypto Mind Benders

Balance Benders

Mathematical Reasoning

Scratch Your Brain

If it makes a difference I am looking for grades 1 and 4 (they use Horizons and Singapore) and 8th grade (Chalkdust, will be starting Algebra 1) Also, would your recommend these books on grade level or a book or two behind for first time users? (Specifically for my 4th and 8th graders, my first grader will be good to go with from the beginning :001_smile:)

Thank you :001_smile:

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04
spelling error

If you are using Horizons and Singapore both, why supplement?

I want the critical thinking aspect of it. This would scheduled either 1 day a week to break up regular math and on school breaks or 1 week a month in place of regular math. Not quite sure yet. I guess I need to see what I have and figure out how best to implement it.

We just started Teaching Textbooks with both my rising 2nd and 4th graders. I decided that they would do math every day, along with household chores and brushing their teeth. They'll obviously get through more than one level of one program a year, and I had already planned on supplementing with other programs (Singapore, Life of Fred) for extra practice and more conceptual math. Then I got the Critical Thinking catalog in the mail and was just thinking those workbooks (or computer programs) would be *perfect* for them! My 1st grader is advanced and my 3rd grader struggles with math (and I have another son who will be in K, but is strong with numbers and number concepts), so I'm purchasing all the K-4th books! I'm guessing I'll find the book that fits them best. I plan on having them do the workbooks 1 or 2 days a week.

For my 9th grader, we used Scratch Your Brain Alg. & Geometry. He is good at math and says those books offer a challenge.

For my 3rd grader and PK, we used Math Reasoning. They both like those books and it has certainly helped my 3rd gr. better understand math concepts. He is my concrete learner and has a difficult time understanding the "why" behind the math.

I have also used Balance Benders for my oldest. He says at first it's fun and challenging but, once you get the hang of it, it becomes boring.

We haven't tried Crypto Mind Benders but they do look interesting.

Hope that helps.

Denise

For my 9th grader, we used Scratch Your Brain Alg. & Geometry. He is good at math and says those books offer a challenge.

For my 3rd grader and PK, we used Math Reasoning. They both like those books and it has certainly helped my 3rd gr. better understand math concepts. He is my concrete learner and has a difficult time understanding the "why" behind the math.

I have also used Balance Benders for my oldest. He says at first it's fun and challenging but, once you get the hang of it, it becomes boring.

We haven't tried Crypto Mind Benders but they do look interesting.

Hope that helps.

Denise

Would the scratch your brain be to much for kids who are good at math- but not a natural math student? My kids are good on grade level, but they really have to work at doing so. I want them to really understand the how and why so it will make more sense to them! Would that be the Mathematical Reasoning?

BTW-- I LOVE your screen name :thumbup:

We supplement with mathematical reasoning. I do it so my kids see a different look for math and also for test prep. For this book, I use at grade level. I have them do 2 pages 4x a week. That will take about a year to finish. I do not use the others mentioned.

We supplement with mathematical reasoning. I do it so my kids see a different look for math and also for test prep. For this book, I use at grade level. I have them do 2 pages 4x a week. That will take about a year to finish. I do not use the others mentioned.

That is the one I am leaning towards. I think I will start with that one and see how it goes this coming school year.

Mathematical Reasoning is a big hit here too. I use it to supplement MUS, but truthfully, I'm thinking of dropping the MUS and going with MR and games and flashcards. We're just finishing MR D, if that helps.

Have fun! We love Critical Thinking anything around here.

Penny