Menu

Winston vs Analytical Grammar

I think that would depend on how much prior grammar they have had. If it is none, I might be more inclined to use AG. If they have used Winston's all along, then don't fix it if it isn't broken.

You might peek at Jensen's Grammar as well. Just a thought. Not like I have any experience here. :)

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I've never used Winston Grammar but AG was a major failure for us (used in 9th and 10th grades). I didn't agree with some of the ways the author labeled things and my kids thought it was extremely boring.

I am using Winston's with my 11 yr. old and 10 yr old and we love it. We have bounced around grammar programs for the last few years and nothing was sticking with my oldest. Winston is sticking. That being said, though, I don't know if I would start with Winston with a senior highschooler, I think it is too young for that age.

We have used both - Winston more in mid-late elementary, AG for middle school/early high school. For the ages of your kids, I would choose AG because it covers most all the grammar they need to know including comma rules and other cap/punct. rules, the diagramming really cements the concepts, and it is fairly straightforward. If your kids have had some grammar, you can also condense it by doing only part of the lesson - enough to review the concept and their method of labeling and one exer/test to make sure they have it, then go on to the next.

We also used Rod and Staff which is also very good. You might be able to use one of their 9th or 10th grade books (skipping the writing parts if you are using something else) or some of their remedial workbooks, depending on how much grammar background they have. HTH!

Due to the kids ages I would choose AG. Right now we are doing this with my sophmore. We are aiming to complete this book in 6 months and then do reinforcement packet they offer as well as the Research paper and Essay paper through them. We are doing this to get him prepped for PSAT this fall and SAT spring of next year.

It's me again! I promise I'm not stalking you. :lol:

We just started AG this year and LOVE it! Not just me, dd too!! It has been very easy to teach. The layout is great. It's not one of those programs that looks overwhelming. The explanations of each unit are very easy to understand. Most of all, her retention with it has been great. I balked on it for over a year because of the price and I am sorry that I did. It has been well worth what we paid and I bought it new.