Menu

Hard time choosing spelling for my first grader in fall

amyrjoy

Oh, this kid knows how to spell some already. He reads on at least second grade level. He doesn't like to write that much, I was thinking of using AAS but not sure if that is the best fit, if it goes too slow for him? Can you skip ahead if you start out with level one? Or is there another choice out there for a kid that picks things up quick and doesn't want to do the same thing all the time?!

I used spelling workout and sequential spelling with my second grader this year and that worked well for her but I know it won't for him.

I use AAS with my advanced reading first grader who picks up things quickly. We move through the program as fast as he needs. Level 1 took 3 weeks, level 2 took 8 weeks. We're showing down some on level 3, though we still only needed one day for step 2. I think some future steps will take 2-3 days.

Is this the best choice for you? I can't answer that. You might look at WRTR (Spalding) and SWR. They can move a little faster than AAS is written, and they are cheaper too. I use AAS because I needed the hand holding. There are a few aspects I like better about AAS, so I make it work well for my accelerated son. It hasn't been a problem, and he learns very well from it.

Not to hijack, but I think the op might be interested as well. How do you go as fast as you want? Do you skip things?

How did you work through level one in 2 weeks? :confused:

Level 1 took 3 weeks. :)

Well, the first day of level 1, we were able to go do multiple steps in one day. After that, many of the steps were simple "this is the short sound of 'a'" or "this is the short sound of 'i'". If your child has had any basic phonics at all, they probably know some of those. So we'd quickly go through the material, spell the words, and dictate the phrases. I don't do ALL the phrases/sentences. I pick the ones that I think will be the hardest, or that cover things we haven't reviewed in a while.

Throughout level 1, we did at least 1 step per day, sometimes 2 steps per day. So that's how we did it in 3 weeks.

Level 2 went slower at first, but then toward the end, some of the phonograms being taught were simple phonics yet again, so we didn't need to spend time on those. We once again did one step per day.

In level 3, we've done 2 steps so far. We spent 5 days on step 1, reviewing *everything*, and we did all the dictation sentences. Step 2, however, was not that difficult to finish in one sitting, so we did. It was ai/ay. We didn't do all the dictation sentences. I'm not letting my son's physical writing limitations hold him back from moving forward. His brain works faster than his hand. ;)

As I said, we'll likely need to do 2 or 3 days on some of the steps later on. But some of them, he just already knows, or he picks up the concept quickly. Also, starting in level 2, we stopped spelling with the tiles and started just writing the words on a white board. So we aren't doing one set with tiles and one set with pencil/paper. We're doing just one set on the whiteboard with a marker. That takes much less time than spelling with tiles! I wouldn't recommend every child do that, but for children that pick up things quickly and don't need a lot of practice, I think it's fine. The dictation sentences provide excellent review of past words, and you periodically review certain rules and strategies anyway.

Hope that helps! And again, YMMV. But I do think the program can be used for a variety of children at their pace. It isn't for everyone, but it is working for us. The downside is that you have to buy so many levels in a short period of time. So that's why I mention the other, cheaper, alternatives. I looked at those, and decided that AAS was better for ME, though my son would have probably done great with the other choices. He does great with AAS as well, so we're sticking with it for the moment. It's not much more expensive than buying something like SWO every year for all 3 of my kids (over time). :) And it's still way cheaper than the private school we were paying for at the beginning of the year. :tongue_smilie:

I'm a huge fan of AAS, but if a child is going through several levels in a matter of weeks, I'd probably use something that would cater more to the child moving on much faster. Perhaps a workbook program where they could work at their own speed? It just seems a bit too expensive for most families too use a level in a program that cost $30-40 each to just burn through in two months. But if it works and you're okay with spending the money, that's cool.

We started way early but the program has allowed us to go through the program at a relatively quick pace. We've been averaging about half a year for each level, and do about one level a week, taking two days a week to do a lesson. Each Level has about 27 steps or so, so that seems about right, as we school year round, and sometimes we do 3 lessons a week. We could go much faster, but I want to give enough time for things to "sink in" okay. We go faster than most AAS users, but I do my best to slow the lessons down by just doing it twice a week and 15 minutes a lesson.

My daughter thrives on it and loves AAS, and this pace suits us very well. She is a good reader (she was reading an adult science book last night) but not a frequent reader. She does write a lot though, and I can see she definitely needs some spelling help on words we've never learned. If she was a more avid, frequent reader and a great natural speller, I'd probably think about using a different program.

If I were in your position, I'd still try AAS 1. Just go through it at a quicker pace, especially the first few lessons, but after a while, evaluate whether or not it's the right program. I think you'll be fine.

Edited by Satori

Thanks for the extra explanation! I think it makes sense. It will probably be more obvious once I get my hands on it. ;)

I expect my oldest to go quickly at first...we did spelling for 1st grade, but we didn't do "the rules". I think he'll catch on quickly...he likes rules. Then ds#2 can start the program at a normal pace. He's a wiggly willy and will like the tiles and such.

Thanks again.

Cyndi

I'm a huge fan of AAS, but if a child is going through several levels in a matter of weeks, I'd probably use something that would cater more to the child moving on much faster. Perhaps a workbook program where they could work at their own speed? It just seems a bit too expensive for most families too use a level in a program that cost $30-40 each to just burn through in two months. But if it works and you're okay with spending the money, that's cool.

I think part of it is that we'd been finding where he is. He has had some phonics-based spelling in school, so we were able to fly through those early parts. Some things he hasn't had, and that's where we will slow down. Once we hit the level where he should be at, we'll probably go the same pace as you are. ;)

Whether I use the program over 5 years or 2 years, the same amount of money will be spent, and then when we're done, we're done, kwim? So that part isn't as big a deal for me. Also, the workbook programs - many of them don't have the "why" of spelling like AAS does, which my son wanted to know. So we sped through levels 1 and 2. Yes, level 1 was quick, but we started halfway through first grade when reading at a 4th grade level. He hadn't had a lot of phonics, but he had had most of the phonics in level 1 (but not some of the interesting rules like when to use c vs k vs ck).

I have looked and looked and looked at other programs. I'll probably eventually pick up HTTS at some point, but I've heard it's not the best to use for a younger elementary student. AAS works great for us, so we're continuing with it for now (I have up through level 4 here... we just started level 3). I don't expect the upper levels to take a few weeks... not at all. :)

I just started AAS with my 8yo who is a great reader but not a great speller. I started with level one and we did it in 2 days. No kidding. But I wanted to start at the beginning. I don't mind the cost so much because a) I bought it used, and b) I have 3 more after this one to use it with. ;) We just received our used copies of levels 2 and 3. It looks like 2 will go pretty quickly as well and then we will slow down with 3. My ds loves it. He is begging to do it today but I didn't schedule for it until tomorrow. I seems like a solid program and so far, from what I see, I'd even pay full price.

That's why I always encourage people to start spelling early (at the same time as learning to read) when they do AAS. That way you don't spend $30 (plus the kit) in just a few days when you're older child speeds through Level 1. So many people specifically wait to do spelling until their child is already reading quite well. No need to wait with AAS!

I guess I would still see the need to start with Level 1 with an older child, I like how it separates the sounds, does syllable work, and covers a few of the basic rules. It does seem expensive to think of it in terms of only being used a few days or weeks, but in the end, especially when you're caught up to your child's skill, it does work well. I guess that makes it totally worth it.

Not to hijack, but I think the op might be interested as well. How do you go as fast as you want? Do you skip things?

How did you work through level one in 2 weeks? :confused:

I started AAS when my kids were 9 & 11. I tried starting in 2, but then realized we had gaps from 1, so I went back and bought that. My kids really never even knew they were doing Level 1, because I just read ahead of time what we needed to cover.

Not every child has gaps from level 1--there is a placement test that can help you know whether to start in 1 or 2.

My kids didn't need to spell easy words--they had already mastered the words from level 1. What they didn't know were some of the additional sounds (they knew long & short vowel sounds, but not all 4 sounds for the letter O, or all 3 sounds for CH, etc...). There were 9 letters that had additional sounds they needed to learn. So, we covered that and segmenting (although they were already pretty solid on this--I used the segmenting exercises from Level 1 on some of the new level 2 words they were working on. The segmenting exercises are really meant to be used throughout the series, so you can apply them to harder words if you want/need to).

Then we mainly needed to touch on the rules--when to use C vs. K at the beginning of a word, when to use K vs. CK at the end of a word, doubling F, L, and S at the end of a word, when C is soft, how to know whether to add S or ES...things like that.

I didn't make them spell all of the words--I just chose some for them to show me they understood the concept. I even told them, "I know you know how to spell these words. Now tell me why--teach the word back to me." That made it new and fresh. And when it was mastered, I didn't belabour the content in the book, I just moved on. We didn't do any dictations from Level 1 because I didn't think they needed it. They both needed the content in Level 2, so we did all of those steps. My oldest went through in 4 months, my youngest in 7.

So...if you look at the first level as just for filling in gaps, then you don't have to do every last thing. It took us 3 weeks give or take to fill in gaps from level 1 (with the exception of a few vowels we kept in review for longer than that).

HTH some! Merry :-)

That's why I always encourage people to start spelling early (at the same time as learning to read) when they do AAS. That way you don't spend $30 (plus the kit) in just a few days when you're older child speeds through Level 1. So many people specifically wait to do spelling until their child is already reading quite well. No need to wait with AAS!

Completely agree on not waiting! :) I would have totally used it earlier if I'd been homeschooling then. :D I'll likely start DS2 on it in the fall. I tried a few months back, and he wasn't quite ready for it yet, but last week when doing Webster's Speller, I had him spell some things with tiles, and he actually did quite well. So I think he is ready. I'm going to give him a little more time, and then we'll start it. We're still working on speech things that might get in the way (like he can't even say some of the blends yet, and that's normal for his age, but it does get in the way of doing phonics - I've had to skip those blends in Webster's thus far).

I guess I would still see the need to start with Level 1 with an older child, I like how it separates the sounds, does syllable work, and covers a few of the basic rules. It does seem expensive to think of it in terms of only being used a few days or weeks, but in the end, especially when you're caught up to your child's skill, it does work well. I guess that makes it totally worth it.

I also have 2 other kids coming up behind him. If I had an only child, I might reconsider... though on the other hand, with an only child, I could turn around and sell the level as soon as we were done. So either way works. The resale value right now is very good. I don't expect it to be that way when I go to sell them after the third kid, but by then, I'll have gotten my money's worth for sure!

I've looked at SWR and WRTR, and I just *really* like that AAS is completely open and go. I don't have to think. I don't have to know everything myself. I can learn right alongside my son (ok, I'll admit it... my son knows the phonograms better than I do :tongue_smilie:). So yes, there are cheaper programs that move faster, but as Tina mentions in the PR threads, it's the teacher training that I'm paying for. ;) I probably could pick up WRTR and teach the next kid after using AAS all the way through, though I'll likely stick with AAS because I'll have it already and it's just soooo easy to teach.

Oh, this kid knows how to spell some already. He reads on at least second grade level. He doesn't like to write that much, I was thinking of using AAS but not sure if that is the best fit, if it goes too slow for him? Can you skip ahead if you start out with level one? Or is there another choice out there for a kid that picks things up quick and doesn't want to do the same thing all the time?!

For this very reason, I love SWR. You get all levels together in one package, along with diagnostic tests so you know where to place the child. And it encourages a very rapid pace (though it is flexible enough to slow it down where necessary).

I do think it is important to start with level one because it teaches some really foundational skills - segmenting, recognizing syllables, compound words, and some basic spelling rules that are built on with level two. We started level one when DD was six, and it still took more than a few months for us to get through it ;).