Menu

Do you use/raise farm animals as...

You need to make sure their housing is secure against predators. Our neighbors had chickens for a while, and they finally had to give it up. The chickens were attacked and eaten by foxes and raccoons. (We know, my dh rescued a few while under attack by raccoons.) They can also attract rats, mice, etc.

We started out with five sheep, and are down to two. Chickens are easier, but as with any farm animal, they require care and maintenance. Make certain that you are prepared to invest that kind of time in their care before making that commitment.

I think chickens are super easy, but, then, I DO have other pets. Most of the work was before they got here, getting things ready. Now we just make sure they have food and water, clean out and replace their bedding every so often, and just hang out with them sometimes. For low maintenance, outdoor pet chickens would definitely be my first choice.

You want to check about medical care. For example (may be impossible in your case) livestock like goats and horses tend to need worming, sometimes shots, and can be rather expensive medically near the end of their lives. Smaller animals like rabbits and chickens don't tend to be as expensive. One word from experience: if you plan to eat it in the end, make sure your kids know that from the beginning and never let them forget it. I can still remember how angry I was at my parents when they sold one of the kid goats I was raising and then found out they were supposed to butcher him as part of the deal. (Someone's Easter dinner, I think.) That took a long time to forgive!

I'd suggest some type of fowl. Chickens can be nice; geese are pretty pushy - you have to make sure you're alpha around them; peacocks are (in my humble opinion) severely mentally challenged and give your place a bad reputation when the neighbors keep hearing their screams for "Heelp! Heellp!!"; wild turkeys are intelligent and really cool; ducks can be pretty low key and fun, too.

You can generally find books on raising specific farm animals at the library to research cages/pens, feeding issues, and final use (eggs? down? meat?).

HTH!

Mama Anna

(Okay, I've been on here way too much today!! Gotta get some stuff done . . .)

We have had them for a few months now. We close them up at night and so far, we still have all 12 and 4 new chicks soon to be laying. We have not had any wild animals up near the house yet, with the exception of some large chicken snakes....which are no longer with us ;o). Between the 6 of us, those chickens get checked on about 10 times a day. We always want to be the one to find the next egg. We get so many eggs from the 12 hens that we have been able to bless all of our neighbors with free eggs once or twice a month. We enjoy giving them away. We also have 2 Boer goats, which can be a nuisance, but they are my sons and he loves them....makes it worth it. My daughter has a rabbit which runs free in the goat yard during the day. We also have 3 dogs and 2 cats. We hope to get us a couple cows soon. We live out in the country and don't do a lot of extra-curricular. The animals keep the kids busy, they enjoy it, and I do believe it has some value....teaches responsibility.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/ Here is a site that might be helpful to you should you decide to get some chickens. We have about 25 laying hens and they are all free ranged but are put up at night. I would not survive without my eggs... they are so delicious and so much better than store bought!!!! It is good discipline for the kids to take care of the chickens and gather eggs, plus they enjoy it :D