Menu

Tell me about smartphones

We are trying to cut cost and have considered giving up the cable and internet. It would save us about a 100 dollars a month. I think I could give up the net but I am not sure I could give up email, so I was considering purchasing a smartphone/iphone and having a data package for it. It would allow me to still check my email and do the occasional internet searching I have to? Does this seem reasonable? I have never done checked my email on phone. What do you think?

I have a super duper smart phone - brand new. Checking email is a breeze. Internet - well, not so much. I keep running into sites that don't render right for mobile units. It's ok for quick look ups, but I wouldn't recommend it for any heavy-duty research or extended browsing.

I have a super duper smart phone - brand new. Checking email is a breeze. Internet - well, not so much. I keep running into sites that don't render right for mobile units. It's ok for quick look ups, but I wouldn't recommend it for any heavy-duty research or extended browsing.

:iagree: I have an iPhone that I love. It's nice to check email, fb, and a few other sites while I'm waiting for dc.

Here at home, though, I always use the computer. It's easier to type on and much easier to see. :)

We don't have cable, btw, and do just fine without that. We have netflix and a cheap movie store near dh's work.

For me, the cost of a smart phone would be around $30 more min. and our internet at home is around $30 for the lowest end internet through our cable company (we pay $40 for a bit higher speed) and it would be more important for me to keep our home internet.

Actually, it IS more important because that is what we are sticking with.

Dawn

I am willing to let go of the cable, however without the cable the internet is 65 per month. I am trying to figure out if we use the internet that much. I know I waste a lot of time :D on it. I can't figure out how to get the internet down. Like I said I am not really willing to give up the email but I think I could do without the rest of it. At least for a while.

:iagree: It's ok for looking stuff up when I'm not at home. But there's stuff I wait to do until I get home so I can look at the big screen of my computer.

Who is this through? That is really high.

Dawn

I am willing to let go of the cable, however without the cable the internet is 65 per month. I am trying to figure out if we use the internet that much. I know I waste a lot of time :D on it. I can't figure out how to get the internet down. Like I said I am not really willing to give up the email but I think I could do without the rest of it. At least for a while.

What phone is a super duper smart phone? :001_smile:

Dawn

Comcast. We could go back to dial up but would have to have a home phone and by the time we add that it is pretty much the same price. We don't have many options in our neck of the woods. Of course if I lived in Cincy proper I would be set but the burbs are not so fortunate.

I have an HTC Evo through Sprint. I am also without internet because AT&T is taking 3 weeks (:mad:) to transfer our service. BUT, I have Pdanet on my Evo which allows me to use my phone as a hotspot. It is free on our market right now (through Sprint) but I paid a one time fee of $15 for it. I get 5 gigs a month (Sprint's rule) and after that I have to pay. I'm not watching videos or downloading on it so it is turning out to work fine for me. So you could have internet essentially for FREE if you go the Android route.

I use Dolphin on my android phone and have the user agent set to PC and so don't bother with the mobile sites at all.

You'll find with a smartphone that there are a number of dedicated apps for news and similar sites. I don't use the web browser as much as I would on a computer.