Menu

Any tips for buying airline tickets?

Our departure day is flexible, but we want to stay about a week (so we can leave M-F, but want to return the same day the following week). Is there really much difference between which days to travel? I think I have read that tickets are also cheaper if you buy them a certain day of the week, has anyone found this to be true? Is it cheaper to buy direct from the airlines vs places like Expedia? We are looking at spending a small fortune as it is so any money saving tips would be great.

I really like KAYAK.com. They offer a calendar with the best fare on each day of the month.

If you are the adventurous type, I would suggest bidding for your tickets on Priceline.com. I always get the best deal there, but you have to be flexible.

Have a great time!

Tuesdays are generally less expensive for most airlines. I start at a place like Orbitz and compare prices for different dates. They have a flexible date option that gives ypu the price for up to 3 days before and after a trip. After that, I check some specific airline sites because SouthWest doesn't participate in the group online sites. For my ds's international flights, I check the price at the American Airlines site too because he has made his trip on that airline the most and if the price is just a little bit more, I will go with them to get him the additional miles. If I have time before the flight, I will coninute to check prices for a week or two before I buy to see price fluctuations, unless I am trying to get a lot of people somewhere.

I just used priceline last month. Since I'd always heard it's cheaper to fly on Tues and Wed, I started with those days. Then dc's activities showed up on the calendar and I had to switch days.

The cheapest times I found were Saturday evening/night and Sunday morning. We departed both places Sunday mornings. The airports and planes weren't crowded, security was a breeze, and tickets were *cheap*!

Have fun!