Menu

Pre-Calc/Trig: What curriculum for a futue engineer?

I'm considering switching math programs for my oldest son. We've done MUS from the beginning - I know there's been a lot of negative said about MUS not being rigorous enough for a math/science and I don't want to debate that here; I know that MUS was right for him up 'til now and it certainly didn't hurt him because he got a score of 24 on the math portion of the ACT in 8th grade. (Hasn't taken it yet this year). We didn't want to focus on math to the detriment of a well-rounded student in the arts, English/lit, etc. . . . just our choice for him up 'til now.

ANYWAY, ds will be 10th grade next year and, as we're looking toward Running Start for him beginning in 11th, it will be our last year of "official" full-time homeschooling and this coming year want to challenge and stretch him in math. He'll be in Trig (which now, I guess they call Pre-Calc.). He's used to video teaching from MUS but that isn't necessarily a requirement for the curriculum we choose for next year.

What do y'all think?

TIA!

Kimm in WA

after using Saxon through the first half of Advanced Math. We liked Saxon well enough, but once he was in Advanced Math, it became clear to me that he wasn't understanding the concepts very well. Advanced Math is not a very "visual" book at all. I looked around for alternatives, and decided to try Chalkdust, as my son liked the DVD instructor after viewing the samples.

He's had a good year with Chalkdust PreCalc, and he still likes the instructor on the DVDs. It is a very full course, though. He started in late August, and has worked on it pretty consistently this year. He still has almost 2 whole chapters to go. I've liked the fact that it reviews some of the advanced algebra and then takes it a bit further. A graphing calculator is required for the course, and the instructor on the DVDs shows the student how to use it. The graphing calculator has really helped my son to understand the whole idea of functions better. The visual presentation is key for him. Also, he likes the fact that the Chalkdust book has real world application problems so he can understand how/where this math will be used in the future.

The book also has a few review problems at the end of each section, and it also has cumulative tests every few chapters to keep the information fresh.

HTH,

Brenda

Hi Brenda-that's your son that's a junior, correct? I have the text already that they use for the Chalkdust PreCal, and solutions. It has a lot of info about the calculator. My older daughter had a little trouble since her HS courses did not allow Graphing calculators at all, neither did her college classes. (so she only learned the bare minimum, and that was from friends) In college, the homework goes faster with a GC, even though you're not allowed to use it on the tests. So I am looking to learn that also, so I can help her sister. Back to the PreCal-- I found the DVD's by the publisher with Dana Mosely on ebay, and its for the same text. (11 DVDS)(actually you get a choice of texts that you can use) There is a very good chart that tells you which DVD for which section since they seem to make it somewhat general, not specific for one text. He seems very good.Also the Calculus DVD (set of 12) works for several texts, and is about $50 for the set. I already had the books for my older daughter anyway. I sort of wondered how the publisher DVD's compare with Chalkdust, other than the support of course. I have watched snippets of both, and I caught my husband watching several hours of the Calculus. What a great opportunity to have a wonderful teacher, and you don't have to even get out of your favorite chair!!

Brenda- do you think you could go into the precal after the Algebra 2 (Dolciani) Without doing some of the Saxon? Brenda-I answered your PM finally---check out that website and let my know what you think!

I suggest going with Larson (Chalkdust), Foerster, or Lial for Pre-Calc since your son will need a very strong background considering he has many many more levels of math to take in college!

There are video components of some kind available for all 3 series. They all cover the same basic material--definately college prep as these texts are often used in colleges (especially Larson and Lial).

I sort of wondered how the publisher DVD's compare with Chalkdust, other than the support of course.

Brenda- do you think you could go into the precal after the Algebra 2 (Dolciani) Without doing some of the Saxon?

Nancy,

I really can't say how the publisher's DVDs compare with the ones sold by Chalkdust because I haven't tried the publisher's DVDs. I believe that Dana Mosely is the instructor on both of them. If you do try them, let us know how they work out.

I don't have any experience with Dolciani Algebra 2, but from what I've read, it's a strong course, so I don't think a student should have any trouble going from that to Chalkdust's PreCalc.

HTH,

Brenda

I suggest going with Larson (Chalkdust), Foerster, or Lial for Pre-Calc since your son will need a very strong background considering he has many many more levels of math to take in college!

There are video components of some kind available for all 3 series. They all cover the same basic material--definately college prep as these texts are often used in colleges (especially Larson and Lial).

We ordered the Larson series, but from the publisher, not Chalkdust, and saved hundreds of $$ (about half the cost of Chalkdust). They, too, have the videos by Dana Mosley - using the latest edition of Larson's Precalculus (which Chalkdust doesn't use) "Precalculus with Limits: A Graphing Approach (for Advanced High School Courses)," 4th edition.

Just wanted to throw this out there.

We ordered the Larson series' date=' but from the [u']publisher[/u], not Chalkdust, and saved hundreds of $$ (about half the cost of Chalkdust). They, too, have the videos by Dana Mosley - using the latest edition of Larson's Precalculus (which Chalkdust doesn't use) "Precalculus with Limits: A Graphing Approach (for Advanced High School Courses)," 4th edition.

Just wanted to throw this out there.

Do you have a link for this?

Thanks!

Do you have a link for this?

Thanks!

Here's the link:

http://college.hmco.com/CollegeCatalog/CatalogController?cmd=Portal&subcmd=display&ProductID=3623

I called 1-800-323-5435 and spoke to Karen D'Alexander (x 5433). She is very helpful.

By the way, they also offer smartthinking online tutoring. Here's info. from their website about it:

Houghton Mifflin's unique partnership with SMARTHINKING brings students real-time, online tutorial support when they need it most.

This partnership offers students a range of tutorial services exclusively for students using Houghton Mifflin texts. Using state-of-the-art whiteboard technology and feedback tools, students interact and communicate with "e-structors." These specially trained tutors guide students through the learning and problem solving process without providing answers or rewriting a student's work.

SMARTHINKING offers three levels of service*

• Live Tutorial Help provides real-time, one-on-one instruction.
  • Questions Any Time allows students to e-mail questions to a tutor outside of the scheduled tutorial sessions and receive a reply, usually within 24 hours.
  • Independent Study Resources connects students around-the-clock to additional educational services, ranging from interactive web sites to Frequently Asked Questions.

HTH.

Bev

Sorry I can't compare Chalkdust to the Publisher's DVD's, as I only have the publishers (and I purchased them on ebay at that). When I saw them on ebay I didn't know that they were readily available on the publishers site, and I really didn't save all that much buying "used" (except I don't believe anyone watched them ever) I have watched some of the ones I have (PreCal and Calculus) and Dana Mosely does a fine job. I really don't know how they could be improved on. I don't know anything about the Chalkdust since I haven't ever seen them, but they do seem similar. One difference is that the PreCal covers a lot of material (11 DVDs) and the Calculus has 12) So they seem extremely complete.

My reason for buying was that they are a lot cheaper than a tutor! As I was "relearning" along with my older daughter I could be helpful, but I reached a point when it wasn't that easy for me, and face it, kids have no patience with parents. So in the interim between the 2 I am trying to refresh my skills--I love the DVDS. Few people at a large state school would get an English speaking math teacher, so to me its a nice luxury, because he explains things so well.

Lastly, I just got a newsletter email from Ask Dr. Callahan. I watched his (Dr. Callahan's)demo lectures, and I just think that Dana Mosely does a superb job, the blackboard work is very nice, and there isn't a glare on the board, nor is he standing in front of the board. I really like everything that Dr. Callahan has up on his website about math, but somehow Dana M. just has such beautiful work on the screen!

• 1 month later...