Menu

How's this for 1st gr, and reading suggestions needed

jhockley

Hi, I've lurked on and off, and dh and I have finally officially decided to hs! I'm trying to put together a curriculum for dd, who will be a 1st grader next year. Can you please tell me if I'm missing anything, or if this is too much? Also suggestions on if you'd recommend a different program.

-FLL (transitioning to MCT in 3rd-ish, reviews say it's too fast for this age).

-Copywork from reading- need suggestions here. She's about 3rd gr reading level.

-Spelling Power

-SOTW w/ activity guide

-Singapore math 1A (hig,text,work&cwp)

-Science from DK 1st Nature & Animal encyclopedias, plus gardening. Any suggestions for hands-on animal science would be great!

-hopefully outside art, piano and ymca classes.

Thanks! ~Jen

I think it looks great! A couple of thoughts, fwiw, if you want copywork from reading - you might want to take a look at Writing With Ease (grade 1 workbook). It has copywork and narrations already scheduled out.

Were you needing suggestions for reading lists or copywork? For reading, you might want to take a look at the Sonlight books - the grade 3 reader lists might work for you. You can buy the schedule/comp questions for about $5 and then pick up the books at the library. It is easy to get copywork from those. Last year, I would have my dd (2nd grade) read the chapter, answer the comp questions and then pick out her own copywork. Here's a link to the grade 3 reader list: http://www.sonlight.com/readers-3.html

I'm not sure how Spelling Power will work for you with a 1st grader. I thought the curriculum was usually recommended for about grade 3 and up. I have used it with an advanced 2nd grader. From my experience, the drill that is required for working with the words might be easier with an older child. Have you looked at some other spelling workbooks - like Spelling Workout or All About Spelling? There are many choices out there.

Finally, have you thought about a handwriting program? I know you mentioned copywork, but I find it helpful to have a program that drills that focuses on correct formation of the letters to be helpful at that age...it is so easy for bad habits to creep in there! You could also start cursive if her print is well established.

Just re-read your post - hands-on animal science..you could take a look at Winter Promise Animals and their Worlds. You may not want to do the whole thing, but there might be a book or two that you would enjoy adding to your study.

Hope something here helps!

Edited by sandra in va

Yes, a reading list is exactly what I needed.

Good to know on Spelling Power. I haven't got a chance to flip through it yet (going tomorrow!), but saw it was listed K-12 on at least one review site. I looked at a couple workbooks online and they just wern't appealing- I need something that starts with rules for sure. Dd is always asking me to spell things for her but I'm not able to tell her how to figure it out on her own next time. (as in I don't know the rules myself)

I hadn't really considered a handwriting program. She knows HOW to write, she just gets sloppy and sometimes 'forgets'. They all look really babyish to me, think it would help though?

Thanks for the science idea- I'll check it out :)

We really like R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey Life. I got it for first grade but we started early. It's very hands-on and has been a lot of fun so far.

Good luck!

:iagree: my first grader will be joining his big bro with E/S from this series, but we loved Life with DS1. I would also check out WWE as suggested. My ds1 wasn't ready for it until 2nd grade but your daughter might be. It is an absolutely awesome program. How about AAS for spelling?

I'm not sure how Spelling Power will work for you with a 1st grader. I thought the curriculum was usually recommended for about grade 3 and up. I have used it with an advanced 2nd grader. From my experience, the drill that is required for working with the words might be easier with an older child. Have you looked at some other spelling workbooks - like Spelling Workout or All About Spelling? There are many choices out there.

My First grader is doing very well with Spelling Power this year. We just started at a very early, very easy level (Level B, I think). She gets so excited on days where she doesn't have any review words for the next day. We don't do the cards or the extras, though.

I echo the suggestion for handwriting as well. My 2nd'r had beautiful handwriting as the beginning of the year so I didn't have a dedicated time or program and noticed his handwriting took a dive. I actually just started working with him on handwriting again this close to the end of the year because it has gotten so bad, and figure we will have to summer school it.

echo WWE and handwriting. Also, you didn't mention phonics? are you done with phonics? For readers are you looking for readers or read alouds? We are using Sonlight readers for next year, as well as many of their read alouds. Also check out Ambleside online for great reading lists.

other than those, looks great!

I am seriously looking at AAS now- I thought it looked like just another workbook so skipped over it earlier, looks really good. And more fun :) I might have to look at WWE too, thought it was just telling you to find copywork and do narration which I was planning to do from reading. What else is in there?

For handwriting I found a nice D'Nealian packet her K teacher had given me (for ds) that I think I will start with and see how she does. Free is good, lol.

Thanks for more booklist suggestions. I'm eating those up!

p.s. yes, done with phonics. She's been reading for over 2yrs already.

Edited by jhockley