Menu

My daughter and I have just started using VP's guide to the Narnia series. We are doing it together. She is 11 1/2 and I was hoping that VP's guide would be a little more meaty than just comprehension questions, which is what it seems to be. And I am sure it would be good for a younger child who is not ready to think more logically.

So now, I am on the hunt for something else. I am looking for something that will make my DD really think about the stories and how they relate to Christianity and Christ. To be honest, I want to understand the series better as well. I read them when I was a preteen, and I wish I would have understood them better at the time.

Is Further Up and Further In what I am looking for, or is there something else? I had thought that Further Up and Further In was more a whole unit study. I am looking for more of a literature focus. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I am looking for something that would include all of the Narnia books.

Memoria Press has a guide to the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. We've used three of their guides so far and they are quite good. They have vocabulary, comprehension and discussion (analysis) questions, as well as tests.

We use them secularly, so I wouldn't be able to comment on whether they have enough Christian analysis for you.

They don't have guides for the rest of the books in the series, however.

Edited by amsunshine

Yes, you are correct in your understanding that FUFI is a unit study, NOT a literature guide. You might find Christian Novel Studies guide by Chris Roe more suited to your needs. See sample pages at Rainbow Resource.

Progeny Press has guides for each book in the series, but from the sample pages, all I see is vocabulary work and comprehension questions; I wish I could see the last 4 pages of the sample unit to see if it had anything else. See samples at http://www.christianbook.com

Bookrags and eNotes have for-a-fee online guides with summaries and comprehension questions for some (maybe all 7) of the books, but it's hard to gauge if there is more to these guides or not.

ROAR! appears to be a family devotional/activities guide -- NOT a literature study guide; and other related books on Narnia at http://www.amazon.com all appear to be devotionals, NOT study guides.

The Home School Mom website has a long list of resources (not necessary guides) for these books.

And for you, there is a very in-depth Bible Study on The Chronicles of Narnia available for download-for-a-fee.

BEST of luck in finding a true Lit. guide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

Yes, you are correct in your understanding that FUFI is a unit study, NOT a literature guide. You might find Christian Novel Studies guide by Chris Roe more suited to your needs. See sample pages at Rainbow Resource.

Progeny Press has guides for each book in the series, but from the sample pages, all I see is vocabulary work and comprehension questions; I wish I could see the last 4 pages of the sample unit to see if it had anything else. See samples at www.christianbook.com

Bookrags and eNotes have for-a-fee online guides with summaries and comprehension questions for some (maybe all 7) of the books, but it's hard to gauge if there is more to these guides or not.

ROAR! appears to be a family devotional/activities guide -- NOT a literature study guide; and other related books on Narnia at www.amazon.com all appear to be devotionals, NOT study guides.

The Home School Mom website has a long list of resources (not necessary guides) for these books.

And for you, there is a very in-depth Bible Study on The Chronicles of Narnia available for download-for-a-fee.

BEST of luck in finding a true Lit. guide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thank you for responding, Lori! I am glad my analysis of FUFI was correct. I had looked at ROAR! and I agree that it looked like more of a devotional/activities guide.

I will look into the Chris Roe products to see if they will better fit my needs. And the Bible Study on The Chronicles of Narnia looks great too.

Thanks again!

We're enjoying studying the Chronicles of Narnia using Omnibus I. They are part of the recommended secondary books. I also used Companion to Narnia and found it useful: http://www.amazon.ca/Pocket-Companion-Narnia-Guide-Magical/dp/0060791284/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1305079098&sr=8-2 I quickly went through it and annotated in the margins of my book what I thought important to discuss with my dd.