Menu

MFW High School - For. Lang. Question

Hoping someone can help me make a decision. I am going to get MFW AHL for my son for 9th and assume we will use the program all the way through high school and hopefully for all three of my boys.

I am very unsure what to do about foreign language. Here are my thought's: we have dabbled in Latin - not stuck with it enough, but done some. I think it would be good for this child to do one solid year with Latin because of the reasons why Latin is good, but mostly cuz he is the Science one. However, I know our local univ. doesn't really look at Latin and wants two years of the same. Plus, we live where Spanish would be very helpful. I also would love for this one to do some Greek cuz he is also a very Godly young man and could possibly do some worship pastor type things as well.

I was wondering if you MFW ladies have found that there is a good year to do any certain lang that goes along with studies in MFW? I could have him do Latin in 9th, Greek in 10th (with MFW WHL & NT) and then Spanish for 11th and 12th - possibly for dual enrollment - or even one solid year for 2 high school credits. Or, maybe skip the Latin and just do Greek for 2 yrs.

I know that's probably very confusing - does anyone have any ideas?? Should I skip the idea of Latin at this point?? I am going to have my younger two do more of it, but we came to WTM-type curriculum and ideas a little later and the oldest has missed the boat in some areas....oh well!!:tongue_smilie:

ANY help is greatly appreciated as advice is greatly needed!!

I like the plans you have in mind for ancients stuff then modern. Sounds neat to connect those themes. I didn't go that route. I let the foreign language be separate from history/Bible studies.

My oldest was interested in Russian. So she did that in 9th grade. and now is taking a quick Spanish course before a trip to Mexico this summer with her dad.

I don't do a full formal Latin program in our home. We do roots. My dh is a PHD chemist in research center at a cancer hospital and he never took Latin. or greek. He took French in high school and earned enough credits in college for a minor in French.

so, just saying, we don't do full Latin. The other benefits of doing Latin we are doing with other things (Logic/math, English grammar, SAT prep books)

A friend of mine who was one of the pre pilot families for MFW has a daughter who became an EMT during her senior year of high school. She did not take Latin either - but took a Latin roots for medical professions approach to go along with the year she did Apologia Advanced Biology. Of course that specific student took Spanish and Russian for foreign languages. But then, found she needed French when she went to Haiti to serve as emergency worker after the earthquake. eh... it all works out.

I personally would wait on Biblical Greek until there is a need for it in post high school. I know plenty of pastors who never took Greek until they needed it in Bible college.

In other words, I should go do more laundry since none of that was helpful and I'm just rambling a lot.

-crystal

Hoping someone can help me make a decision. I am going to get MFW AHL for my son for 9th and assume we will use the program all the way through high school and hopefully for all three of my boys.

I am very unsure what to do about foreign language. Here are my thought's: we have dabbled in Latin - not stuck with it enough, but done some. I think it would be good for this child to do one solid year with Latin because of the reasons why Latin is good, but mostly cuz he is the Science one. However, I know our local univ. doesn't really look at Latin and wants two years of the same. Plus, we live where Spanish would be very helpful. I also would love for this one to do some Greek cuz he is also a very Godly young man and could possibly do some worship pastor type things as well.

I was wondering if you MFW ladies have found that there is a good year to do any certain lang that goes along with studies in MFW? I could have him do Latin in 9th, Greek in 10th (with MFW WHL & NT) and then Spanish for 11th and 12th - possibly for dual enrollment - or even one solid year for 2 high school credits. Or, maybe skip the Latin and just do Greek for 2 yrs.

I know that's probably very confusing - does anyone have any ideas?? Should I skip the idea of Latin at this point?? I am going to have my younger two do more of it, but we came to WTM-type curriculum and ideas a little later and the oldest has missed the boat in some areas....oh well!!:tongue_smilie:

ANY help is greatly appreciated as advice is greatly needed!!

I think that as far as MFW goes, there is room for a foreign language course so you don't need to worry about that.

As far as the foreign language, I think many folks follow the advice of the Hazells and teach a modern language that can be used for modern purposes, so maybe posting about the particular language will get replies from those familiar with teaching those languages.

Some folks who might be good resources that I know of, and if the search function works at all you could search for their posts?

dhudson on this forum uses MFW and teaches Latin -- I don't think she has a highschooler yet, though.

Xander on this forum teaches Greek and tries to make it seem less intimidating, so you might look for his posts.

Paula H, long-time homeschooler and owner of Paula's Archives and occasional poster here, has a small Latin roots curriculum called Science Roots that's specifically for biology so it might have medical applications more than a whole Latin program?

Julie

Hmmm...very interesting and freeing, ladies!! Thank you! I like the idea of just continuing with English From the Roots Up (or similar). We plan to finish Vol 1 this summer. It gives us a little of both - Latin and Greek. And, then the Science Roots sounds awesome. He doesn't seem to care or have any preference. And, then I could have him dive into Spanish. I feel pretty comfortable with it - had 4 years and could speak it decently. Have forgotten it all, but hopefully, some will come back.

Thanks so much!!

Anyone else??

I like your thought process.... it does seem to make sense that way!

We didn't go that way either though.... I never even thought of it! :D DD is doing MFW AHL and is learning Spanish. We chose to do modern languages that could come in handy. For her the choice was obvious: Our oldest went to a Christian high school his jr. and sr. years. While there he made friends with kids whose first language was Spanish. His "thing" is languages, and he decided he liked and wanted to learn Spanish (even though he had been doing German. Interacting with those kids daily, and by making lists of words and phrases, etc., he learned Spanish well, and is at a Christian University in Mexico this year. He's basically fluent in Spanish now. His FB comments are mostly in Spanish. ANYWAY, dd said, "I know he's going to marry a Spanish girl and have Spanish-speaking kids, so I need to learn Spanish so I can communicate with him and his family!" :lol:

That made sense to me :D, so that's what we are doing!

ETA: My dh said not to do Latin, just the modern languages, so we haven't done it except for vocab. studies. So, that was another thing we took into consideration when choosing. :001_smile:

Thanks, Brindee! Since I seem to do all the same curriculum's as you, I will probably try Visual Link!! :)

Still trying to decide between just ordering MFW new or trying to wait and find used. That seems to be just about as much as new, unfortunately!!

I think colleges want to see atleast 2 years of the same language.

My upcoming 9th grader will do atleast 2 years of Henle Latin and 4 years of Spanish. He has done Lively Latin in the middle years as well as Vocabulary from Classical Roots.

I would atleast do a Vocab Roots program (as well as a Modern language) if they haven't had roots program. Kids that have gone through MFW have had a roots program in the younger years which may be why it's not included in high school.

Totally,OT, but I received my AHL box today and am really excited to finally have it my hands. We finish school on Thur. so I will have time to look at it. Yeah!!

Edited by dhudson

Thanks, Dawn!! I am chomping at the bit to order it! We have done English From the Roots Up - will finish vol 1 soon. I was thinking of getting 2, but am researching all roots programs right now! He has done CLE Reading and LA for years and the vocab in there is pretty good, imo...plus, this is definitely a strength for this child!

I want to make sure Vocab/Roots is well covered for ACT/SAT also! Thx!

So, do you think between doing the SAT Prep Guide and the English portion, plus some more English from the Roots Up (not for credit - just for all my boys together)...I would be set??

I'm definitely leaning towards Spanish now for at least 3 years. Just have to pick the program...think that Visual Link sounds like the best! At least to start!

Thanks so much everyone!! :)