Menu

ballet and music DFW?

Dd's have asked me to research their options for ballet, violin, and piano in the DFW area. Anyone have any recommendations? What is the cost like? DFW is such a big city compared to where we live now, I'm concerned the cost will be much higher.

Also, something to keep in mind while you are looking, as I didn't realize this before we moved here. DFW is actually 3 large cities. There are Dallas (huge), Fort Worth, (really big) and then Arlington (large) is sandwiched in between. It can take well over an hour in light traffic to drive from one side of the DFW area to the other. Light traffic only happens early Sunday morning..lol. So while you might find some great things in Dallas, if you live in Fort Worth it won't be practical to drive there.

Edited by Apryl H
too early for grammatical correctness.

Also, something to keep in mind while you are looking, as I didn't realize this before we moved here. DFW is actually 3 large cities. There are Dallas (huge), Fort Worth, (really big) and then Arlington (large) is sandwiched in between. It can take well over an hour in light traffic to drive from one side of the DFW area to the other. Light traffic only happens early Sunday morning..lol. So while you might find some great things in Dallas, if you live in Fort Worth it won't be practical to drive there.

Okay.....that is good to know. I've never been to the area and it does intimidate me a bit!

Ditto to this! I moved here after college when I married DH and I had no idea how large DFW was and how excruciating the sprawl can be when you need to get from one part of town to the other. We live in the north Fort Worth area and to get to the middle of Arlington can take anywhere from 20 minutes on a light traffic day to over an hour in rush hour.

Make sure to look at a map when thinking about classes because if it's across town you may be signing yourself up for quite a commute!

Ditto to this! I moved here after college when I married DH and I had no idea how large DFW was and how excruciating the sprawl can be when you need to get from one part of town to the other. We live in the north Fort Worth area and to get to the middle of Arlington can take anywhere from 20 minutes on a light traffic day to over an hour in rush hour.

Make sure to look at a map when thinking about classes because if it's across town you may be signing yourself up for quite a commute!

Now, I'm getting scared!!

It really depends on where you are in the area. But the classes at TAFA(which is linked in another post) are really good!

They have art, ballet, choir, drama, and band. There are also private lessons for piano, voice, and guitar. There may be some others but these are ones I know about. My daughter has been at TAFA for 8 years now. The classes here are really, really good in fine arts. I know someone who drives 2 hours to get here for classes.

Just as a sample of how good they are (at least vocally, since that is where we are):

For the private school all region choir, 100 voices are selected (25 each of the four types) and TAFA was 24 of them. Only 2 of our kids who tried out did not get selected.

For the solo competition, most of our kids get the highest rating.

So it is worth checking out, especially if you are in Fort Wort or Arlington.

Linda

I would add a 4th area which would be north of Dallas which includes McKinney and Frisco.

You definitely need to zero in on where your husband will work and make a decision about where to live from there. The traffic here is really bad.