Menu

Book for picture study?

- Looking at Paintings series (Roalf) -- gr. 2-6, is another great series like Come Look With Me (Blizzard) -- gr. K-4.

Looking at Pictures (Richardson) gr. 2-6 -- is a wonderful intro to understanding paintings, museums, techniques, etc.

Also take a look at Ambleside free online curriculum, has a very nice free focus on an artist a month. You can purchase prints by the artist from them, but it's not necessary. See their schedule and artist info at: http://www.amblesideonline.org/ArtSch.shtml

I Spy Shapes in Art (Micklethwait)

I Spy: An Alphabet in Art (I Spy Series) (Micklethwait)

Linnea in Monet's Garden (Bjork) (gr. 3-6)

Scholastic Bookshelf series on a variety of artists; books authored by either Mayhew or Anholt; listed for grades pre-K - 2nd grade; examples:

- "Katie Meets The Impressionists" (Mayhew)

- "Degas and the Little Dancer" (Anholt)

Also, here are some "stepped readers" for early art appreciation or exposure; other than the first book, they are all by Bob Raczka:

- "Anna's Art Adventure" (gr. K-3rd) -- Bjorn Sortland

- "Art Is..." (K-4th)

- "Unlikely Pairs: Fun With Famous Works of Art" (PK-4th)

- "3D ABC: A Sculptural Alphabet" (PK-4th)

- "No One Saw: Ordinary Things Through Eyes of An Artist" (PK-2nd)

- "More Than Meets the Eye: Seeing Art With All Five Senses" (K-4th)

- "Here's Looking At Me: How Artists See Themselves (gr. 2-5)

Enjoy! Warmly, Lori D.

I think I would find a general art history book at the library and choose the artists you want for that year. Either asthetically or perhaps related to history or literature studies. Then I would hit Barnes & Noble or Border's sale tables and start looking. They always seem to have a few coffee table art books on sale. I think the idea is just to have reproductions of art to look at regularly. If you want more information about the artist or their technique you might want one of the multitude of short children's biographies available.

I wanted to do a picture study, but could not spend alot of money. I actually went to Barnes and Noble and purchased a wondeful art book- "coffee table size" book- that had beautiful full page pictures of art work and info. about the artist, all for $9.99. My kids love it!

Our library system has the Can You Find It? series, using works from the collections of The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. The books for younger kids are written by Jessica Schulte; for slightly older kids by Judith Cressey.