Menu

A fun hands-on history for 10th?

My DS is thinking about coming home next to HS again. We talked about what he wanted in a history program. We have tried HO and TOG. He did ok with HO but wasn't really interested and TOG scared him to death.

He isn't much of a reader unless I read with him. He is also ADD. What we talked about is something that really gets him involved in the history not just reading about it. Are their any programs out there like that? He would be doing 1600- 1850.

My DS is thinking about coming home next to HS again. We talked about what he wanted in a history program. We have tried HO and TOG. He did ok with HO but wasn't really interested and TOG scared him to death.

He isn't much of a reader unless I read with him. He is also ADD. What we talked about is something that really gets him involved in the history not just reading about it. Are their any programs out there like that? He would be doing 1600- 1850.

I'd suggest "make your own" History:

- Any Historical Sites and/or History Recreation groups in your area? He can rack up hours through hands-on participation.

- Do research and create historical items -- learn history by doing it.

- Watch some documentaries on the time period and write a few short papers for dual English/History credit.

- Listen to some Great Books and/or Historical Fiction on books on tape.

Is he at all interested in military aspects of history? How about focusing on the wars of the last 60 years -- interview vets of the different conflicts; visit military museums and do some research reports; watch documentary footage of the conflicts and take notes/write short reports. A project could become very personal -- I heard about a high school student obsessed with Vietnam who recreated a real episode from the real life of an old family friend by actually making a short film Hmong Rescue .

A homeschool friend had a DS in a similar situation, at about the same age; he enjoyed Medieval History, and so took a blacksmithing course through the local community college. He researched medieval weaponry and wrote about that. He made several knives and a pair of candlesticks through the iron forging. While he did not also become involved in a History Recreation group, there are several Medieval/Renaissance groups he could have participated with.

What about sending him out for a multi-week summer internship with Plimouth, Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, or other well-established History recreation village?

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

I would second WinterPromise - you can do as many or as few of the hands-on materials that you want. I think the Quest for Royals to Revolutionaries looks fun for high school especially.

I liked KONOS too - but it does take a lot of mom prep time - at least for me.

Mystery of History has some hands on ideas you can add in along w/ additional movies and book selections.

Whatever you select I would get him involved in the selection process.

I would second WinterPromise - you can do as many or as few of the hands-on materials that you want. I think the Quest for Royals to Revolutionaries looks fun for high school especially.

I liked KONOS too - but it does take a lot of mom prep time - at least for me.

Mystery of History has some hands on ideas you can add in along w/ additional movies and book selections.

Whatever you select I would get him involved in the selection process.

We just finished Winter Promise Quest for the Ancient World for high school. I would recommend their Royals to Revolutionaries program for your child! WP is not as heavy on reading as Sonlight is, no critical thinking or comprehension questions, but with more hands-on work, and excellent activity choices.

We started this in the middle of the year. After my dd has read and responded in writing, she gets to choose areas to explore. I give her a unit to read, a number of papers she needs to do for that section. Then I allow her to pick what she is most interested in to research. She has made feasts based on old style recipes, she is carving a viking boat out of balsa wood from a pattern found online, she researched mosaics and made one, hand drawn maps of the areas studies...

For each project, there is also a written aspect where she discusses what she has learned.

I give her a deadline that the unit is due with all projects, reading, and writing. She is learning pacing and planning for larger projects, it has really helped her research skills, and has really gotten to dig into what she is interested in and learned to love history again. It has been a wonderful experience and we are planning to repeat it again next year with American history.

Another vote for Konos' high school curriculum.

A friend of mine used it, and it wasn't as mom-intensive as the standard Konos curriculum. She didn't complain about it, in fact she's very positive about the experience, especially for her boy.

I have not used it though, but from what I saw of it, it's something I would be able to do.

Be aware that it's way more than just a history curriculum. It includes English, Lit, drama, art, and probably more stuff too.

Edited by CleoQc