Menu

Need help with dd(8) with English for next year...Shurley English?

I need help choosing an English program for the fall. DD(8) needs a program that needs to be hands on and lots of review. We were recently diagnosed with ADHD and are on meds now but I believe she is still going to need something with a lot of review(and slow moving). I have been looking at Shurley English because of the jingles, hoping that the jingles will stick with her. We have tried FLL 1 and she knows the definition of a noun-we need something like that that drills the grammer terms into her head. I am looking for something that spends time on each area but will also be applied in worksheets(the downfall of FLL 1 and 2). Any ideas? Anyone use Shurley English and want to give me the pros and cons?

I'm actually going to be doing Shurley English with my 8 year old.. some... I have the 7th grade book and jingles... and I'm using the jingles from that... because as I understand it... they are the expanded jingles and I only want to learn them once.... (and he does find with memorizing)

We do some actions with the jingles, too... And then... you can use whatever Shurley grammar book you want to...

:)

R&S is super strong in grammar, is slow moving enough, short lessons (AWESOME for ADHD kids... believe me, I know), has review worksheet books for cheap if she needs the extra practice, has review lessons in the book, the works.

Con: you will have to find a seperate writing program (Writing With Ease is good)

We are popping over to BJU for a year because, and only because, my ADD daughter wants to start doing writing other than narrations. BJU is much slower on the upswing for grammar - which can also be very good - but catches up on grammar issues when the child is older. BJU does 2 weeks of grammar, 2 weeks writing, 2 weeks of grammar, 2 weeks of writing.... You can get a used TM on Amazon for cheap and www.Mardel.com is having a 20% off sale on the workbooks next Saturday.

We've been using Shurley English for two years now. My daughters are 9 and 11, finishing 4th & 5th grades. The older has some learning challenges (?dyslexia & audtory processing). After using FLL, Rod & Staff, and BJU for her early elementary years, she still could not identify a noun. She has learned SO much with Shurley. Although the reptition is getting a bit tedious, it is working. We'll stick with it for another year or two.

I used Shurley English 2,4, and then 6 with all my kids before moving into R&S.

Pro: Jingles make memorizing parts of speech fun

Constant review

Incremental learning is great for kids with learning differences

Scripted lessons for mom

Cons: Scripted lessons not for everyone

Writing instruction very dry and not always developmentally appropiate

Edited by missmoe