Menu

Help high school curriculum add, dysgraphia memory issues

Hi...I would love some ideas on what you found that works for you in high school. My child was home all middle school and went back the end of last year for 8th grade and all of high school 9th grade this year. BUT he is failing the main classes and the teachers dont have time to work on helping him. I was curious as to what you find that works with add kids in high school. It took a lot of work for me to keep him on task but I think he was retaining the work when he was home more then in school. He doesnt have any specific LD diagnosis that they can tell me...I think a lot of it is he is being very lazy now. He is ADD, has a few problems with memory, and disgraphia.

In the past we used Sonlight, TT, iew (very hard to use with him), and other books. Sonlight was great it was just a lot of time. I was trying to see what else works for everyone.

THanks,

Michelle

First, is he using medication? This can make a huge difference.

For my son (who has dyslexia, dysgraphia, and ADD) I've found that the biggest help (besides medication) is having him do all written work on the computer. As a homeschooler, I also do more organizing for him than would be done for him at a school, which helps keep things on track but isn't necessarily teaching him organizational skills.

Does he have an IEP or 504 plan in place? If not, he needs one. At a minimum he should be getting the standard accommodations that kids with dysgraphia and ADD get: extended time for tests/assignments, use of a word processor for all written work, shortened assignments (if necessary), and organizational help.

However, in reading your post more carefully, I see that he doesn't have an LD diagnosis. This means that he is not diagnosed with dysgraphia, so you may not be able to get the keyboard accommodation. The rest of the accommodations are pretty standard for kids with ADD (I'm assuming that ADD has been officially diagnosed).

My daughter has ADD, motor dysgraphia, and working memory issues as well. I have chosen VideoText algebra for math. It is a video program AND they provide the notes for you (so the student doesn't have to take notes) because the author believes that the student should not focus on note-taking, but focus on understanding the concepts presented. Worrying about taking notes will be a distraction from understanding.. The workbook that goes along with this program is very clean, not overwhelming or cluttered at all. http://www.videotexthomeschool.com We have used Teaching Textbooks for a few years and I have chosen to not use it for algebra.

I allow my daughter to type just about everything.. She can think better and everything flows wonderfully when she is typing as opposed to writing.

My daughter is also a voracious reader so much of her education is through reading. Maybe you could use Sonlight again, but drop a few books from the schedule?

Hi...I would love some ideas on what you found that works for you in high school. My child was home all middle school and went back the end of last year for 8th grade and all of high school 9th grade this year. BUT he is failing the main classes and the teachers dont have time to work on helping him. I was curious as to what you find that works with add kids in high school. It took a lot of work for me to keep him on task but I think he was retaining the work when he was home more then in school. He doesnt have any specific LD diagnosis that they can tell me...I think a lot of it is he is being very lazy now. He is ADD, has a few problems with memory, and disgraphia.

In the past we used Sonlight, TT, iew (very hard to use with him), and other books. Sonlight was great it was just a lot of time. I was trying to see what else works for everyone.

THanks,

Michelle

Schools don't make diagnosis. School just do testing to see if a child qualifies for their special ed program according to the guidelines set by the state. You child may very well have specific learning disabilities but if you want a specific diagnosis you will have to go outside of the school. A private practice psychologist that does educational testing is one choice. A medical doctor to give the ADD diagnosis.