Menu

LCC'ers, I have a question

I have both books and have read and loved them both, but I have a question. Have any of you decided to stay with the 4yr. history cycles? I think I read that someone had, but can't remember who. Also a wwyd, my DS is in 3rd grade and we've been studying medieval history this year and would go on to early American next year. If I were to start our LCC schedule would you recommend that I just start with the 3rd grade LCC rec's. or just create my own little LCC program using American history rec's.? Forgot one more thing, do any of you use the VP cards just as history memory work?

I have both books too and his first version is similar to what Highlands Latin School follows. Their 3rd grade curriculum studies the states for American/Modern studies. You could follow this plan but substitute American history instead of a state study.

Here is the link:http://thelatinschool.org/3.html

I have both books too and his first version is similar to what Highlands Latin School follows. Their 3rd grade curriculum studies the states for American/Modern studies. You could follow this plan but substitute American history instead of a state study.

Here is the link:http://thelatinschool.org/3.html

Thank you!!!!

Guest RecumbentHeart

:seeya:I wanted to say hi to a fellow LCCer.

I have long been considering the VP history cards for that purpose or as sort of a spine for history reading but I still have time to consider it. :) I'm not intending the follow the 4 year cycle but I'm not precisely following the LCC recs for history either (although it will always be my fall-back plan).

Really I just want to say hi, though. :D

:seeya:I wanted to say hi to a fellow LCCer.

I have long been considering the VP history cards for that purpose or as sort of a spine for history reading but I still have time to consider it. :) I'm not intending the follow the 4 year cycle but I'm not precisely following the LCC recs for history either (although it will always be my fall-back plan).

Really I just want to say hi, though. :D

:seeya:

I'm toying with taking the 2nd edition and making a 5 year cycle. So in 1st / 2nd do CHOW, then do a cycle for 3rd to 7th, and Great Books from 8th to 12th. If you took Story of the World and divided the first book into 2 years it would match up. It wouldn't be too difficult to cover the 2nd grade book on Ancient Egypt in 3rd grade along with Ancient Greece. I haven't thought about the Great Books portion much, but I think combining books from 8th and 12th (and possibly adding from WTM) would work. I am combining kids, and this way history and literature will match up.

I'm toying with taking the 2nd edition and making a 5 year cycle. So in 1st / 2nd do CHOW, then do a cycle for 3rd to 7th, and Great Books from 8th to 12th. If you took Story of the World and divided the first book into 2 years it would match up. It wouldn't be too difficult to cover the 2nd grade book on Ancient Egypt in 3rd grade along with Ancient Greece. I haven't thought about the Great Books portion much, but I think combining books from 8th and 12th (and possibly adding from WTM) would work. I am combining kids, and this way history and literature will match up.

Thank you! That sounds like a good idea, i'm actually thinking now of running two streams of history the way the first edition does. Of course, I can try it and if it works great and if it doesn't I can just drop it.