Menu

Is this the Lials algebra I want?

Do I want 8th or 9th edition?

8th edition: http://www.amazon.com/Introductory-Algebra-MyMathLab-Student-Access/dp/0321285875/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3BCMULPVXH89N&colid=3J6RGE6XWXGRH

9th edition: http://www.amazon.com/Introductory-Algebra-MyMathLab-Student-Access/dp/0321576462/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

Edited for the 3rd time!

Is this what I want? http://www.amazon.com/Introductory-Algebra-Developmental-Mathematics-Paperback/dp/0321279212/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IH0CJ4XNF8NX9&colid=3J6RGE6XWXGRH

Does anyone have an ISBN number? There are too many editions of this book. Its driving me crazy.

I want to make sure I get the correct book and corresponding teachers book.

Is that all I need?

Thanks so much!

Edited by gingersmom

I use the 8th edition with my online classes (my own dds used this edition too).

Student text: 0321279212

Student text has all of the necessary answers (odd problems from homework --what is typically assigned as well as ALL test, chapter review, summary and cumulative review answers.

The TE is the SAME as the student text-- except it has all of the answers filled in under the problem (page to page with student text otherwise). I use the TE so I can use the even problems for examples...

ISBN is 0321285859

Student solutions manual is optional (please do not give students free access to this-- it is best if they go back to find their own errors-- this should be a LAST resort!) 0321285808

Digital Video Tutor (DVTs) video lessons watched on computer--- these again are OPTIONAL-- nothing I would want students to watch every day. ALL of the teaching is in the student text... nice to have on OCCASION though... 0321285840

Jann, your advice to me last year for this Lial's was invaluable, and I once again thank you!

I wanted to offer to the OP that there is a terrific (free!) website, http://www.interactmath.com, that will show you each odd math problem and give you hints on how to solve it. It was a great addition.

OP, if you are buying this online through something like amazon, you may want to double and triple confirm the ISBN. I had a horrible time last year and had to buy the book three times before I got the "right" one (even after the seller supposedly confirmed the ISBN, it was still wrong).

Jann, your advice to me last year for this Lial's was invaluable, and I once again thank you!

I wanted to offer to the OP that there is a terrific (free!) website, http://www.interactmath.com, that will show you each odd math problem and give you hints on how to solve it. It was a great addition.

OP, if you are buying this online through something like amazon, you may want to double and triple confirm the ISBN. I had a horrible time last year and had to buy the book three times before I got the "right" one (even after the seller supposedly confirmed the ISBN, it was still wrong).

What an excellent site! Thanks so much.

I have been lucky in the past so I am keeping my fingers crossed everything comes in correctly.

:iagree: that can happen. I ordered the 8th edition Introductory Algebra (that Jann put the ISBN #'s for), and ended up with a hardback Intermediate Algebra book!!! :001_huh: The only thing the same with what I ordered and what I got was that they were both the 8th editions! :001_smile:

So, I just re-ordered it, including checking the ISBN, so hopefully it is the right one. The hardback versions don't seem to have the practice problems on the sides of the pages like the softcover ones do. DD likes those, so, again, I hope I get the one I actually ordered! :001_smile:

BTW, this was the first time I haven't gotten exactly what I ordered!

Edited by Brindee

Do I need the teacher's edition if I buy the solution manual? I think I'm going to get the cd as well.

Not imho. I'm a math idiot; I had one year of algebra in 9th grade, surpassing my school's .5 credit required for graduation.:glare:

I was able to work through Lial's with my dd. A student could be expected to do it on their own; dd and I did the examples together, and she did the exercises on her own, asking for help when needed. The student text was sufficient, with the exception of maybe two problems throughout.

The TE is the same (page to page) as the student text-- but it has the answers listed next to each problem.

The students solutions manual has the ODD problems worked out step by step.

The student text has the answers to the ODD problems as well as ALL the answers to the chapter reviews, summaries, tests and cumulative reviews-- in other words it has all of the necessary answers.

I personally use the TE so I have quick and easy access to the answers for the examples I work out in class... not really needed for one-on-one stuff.

Update:

I got the student editon from Better World Books and it was the correct edition.

I got the teachers edition from amazon.com marketplace and it was correct also.

Happy happy happy!

:001_smile:

:hurray: :001_smile: Congratulations!