Menu

Singapore with Horizons/ MUS or Singapore Extra Practice

bethben

I have had ds #2 go through the Singapore levels with just the workbooks and textbooks (with drill practice). I noticed that while he did OK without all the review, his younger brother will not. I need to get more "spiral" review into Singapore. For example, he went through Singpaore 1A (twice) and did not learn basic addition and subtraction. I don't know if his brain was just not ready but when I switched to MUS alpha, he now knows his facts really well and it clicked right away.

I like the Singapore math way - I like the mental math and the word problems. So, do I do two math programs to get more review (MUS or Horizons) and Singapore math or do I just drop Singapore with this child? I can easily teach Singapore with MUS blocks and don't even use the TM or videos with MUS. I just need more spiral review.

TIA

Beth

Have you used Singapore extra practice books or the intensive practice books?if you haven't you may want to. You can also use some of the math sheets from Mammoth. From what I understand MUS is mastery not spiral. I know someone that supplement Horizon workbooks with Singapore and they like it. I've also heard of people using MUS as their main program and supplementing with Singapore Challenge Word problems. That's all I can think of right now. I'm still trying to workout math for my boys as well! Good luck.

Hi,

I have the same issue. My dd forgets everything unless we go over it weekly. I love SM but she needs spiral. I have just posted a thread asking if MEP has more of a spiral to it. I want my dd to understand math but really...if she understands a topic really well and we don't touch on it for months... she totally forgets it all..what is the point?? As great as SM is I may have to drop it for something better.

This didn't really help but....:D

Penny

I am very happy with our Singapore/Horizons combo. I love the way Singapore teaches concepts. My kids like it too. But Horizons is great for making sure that they keep reviewing what they have learned. It is definitely spiral and has a nice mixture of problem types in every lesson. We don't do all of every lesson in Horizons--I just pick and choose what I want my girls to work on--usually 1/2 to 3/4 of the lesson. I think Horizons is great for keeping skills sharp. Can't comment on your other options as I don't know about other programs.

I am very happy with our Singapore/Horizons combo. I love the way Singapore teaches concepts. My kids like it too. But Horizons is great for making sure that they keep reviewing what they have learned. It is definitely spiral and has a nice mixture of problem types in every lesson. We don't do all of every lesson in Horizons--I just pick and choose what I want my girls to work on--usually 1/2 to 3/4 of the lesson. I think Horizons is great for keeping skills sharp. Can't comment on your other options as I don't know about other programs.

:iagree: This is exactly how we do it and are very happy with the combo.