Menu

Need advice for writing and spelling...

chpiper

I *think* we have our choices set for next year except in a few areas, and I am driving myself absolutely insane over these few choices!!!

Here is our situation...

DD entering 2nd grade:

We will use CLE LA 2 and CLE Math 2 for sure (she loves these and learns very quickly using them), and most likely for Reading (but I do have some Scott Foresman books I want to look through to see which I like better)...We will do SOTW 1 and Apologia Astronomy for half the year and Anatomy for the other half. We have tons of reading books (many living books and good literature, along with readers appropriate for her to do independently). My uncertain areas are writing and spelling. She is NOT a good speller, but is a pretty strong reader. She is definitely not getting enough spelling practice with CLE. And there isn't much writing in the CLE either. There is a bit of copywork, and some handwriting practice, but not too very much of either. I have WWE and am considering it, and I have Spelling Power...is there something better? PAL writing? I am open to ideas...I can't do something that is too teacher intensive, as I have a toddler, prek, and 6th grader...plus need some time for my high schooler...

DD entering 6th grade:

CLE LA 5 and CLE Math finish 4 start 5 (we also supplement with math worksheets and games as this is an area where she has trouble), CLE Reading 6, Sonlight 5 (Anatomy), and SOTW 1 with Guest Hollow...TONS of living books (esp history related), and a big bunch of books for enjoyment (I don't like to do much more than have her read and ask a few questions about her reading...If I turn it into a "study" she quickly dislikes reading, so we just go with it and she loves reading)...She is an EXCELLENT speller, so I haven't been doing a formal spelling program...she loves editing other writer's works. She hasn't had any formal writing instruction...has done some copywork and not much dictation. Again, I have WWE...should I do a placement with that and start her in it? Or IEW? Writesource? Jump In? Others?? I also am thinking about adding in Latin or a foreign language but not sure about this either...And opinions about a spelling program for her? Should I start using something or just let her spelling continue to advance naturally? She tested out of the Spelling Power placement test...?

And to totally top this off for some reason I have in my mind I should put them in a cyber school!! I keep thinking that they would do better with someone else picking what they should be studying, but then I talk myself out of it. Our state has several...one uses K12, another uses Lincoln Interactive, and there are a few more...but I feel like this would be more time consuming than we are used to...anyone want to talk me out of this? LOL

I need help!!

She is NOT a good speller, but is a pretty strong reader. She is definitely not getting enough spelling practice with CLE. And there isn't much writing in the CLE either. There is a bit of copywork, and some handwriting practice, but not too very much of either. I have WWE and am considering it, and I have Spelling Power...is there something better?

WWE for writing. What has she used for spelling in the past? If she has used Spelling Power and wasn't getting anywhere with it, you might go to another spelling program. AAS is going to be my choice for 2nd grade ds7boys, but I have heard that it is teacher intense. Spelling Workout is less teacher involved, but I would not recommend it for a poor speller.

She is an EXCELLENT speller, so I haven't been doing a formal spelling program...she loves editing other writer's works. She hasn't had any formal writing instruction...has done some copywork and not much dictation. Again, I have WWE...should I do a placement with that and start her in it? Or IEW? Writesource? Jump In? Others??

You might have her do something with Latin roots in place of spelling. Increase her vocabulary and challenge her spelling a little bit. I'm assuming she's more of a creative writer? What she is going to need is work in form, style and non-creative writing with enough creative writing to balance out the rigor of grammar. IEW may be a good choice.

And to totally top this off for some reason I have in my mind I should put them in a cyber school!! I keep thinking that they would do better with someone else picking what they should be studying, but then I talk myself out of it. Our state has several...one uses K12, another uses Lincoln Interactive, and there are a few more...but I feel like this would be more time consuming than we are used to...anyone want to talk me out of this? LOL

Well, you would still be picking what by picking where they would be studying, true? It might be easier, but it also might be like trying to pick a one-size-fits-all suit. It's going to gap somewhere.

We use AAS with our 2nd grader, and it has done wonders for her writing confidence. Now that we are in AAS2 her spelling is really soaring. I'm a natural speller, so this is exciting for me to see :). I like it better than Spelling Power (which I have on the shelf) because it is so much meatier. It really digs into the whys, providing detailed explanations, rules, and models. It is working really, really well for us.

For your older daughter, why not just let her keep reading? Sounds like she is a natural speller if she tested out of Spelling Power. I wouldn't worry about her :).

Okay, I'm just going to say it since you asked us to talk you out of it! Don't go for the cyber school. Talk about stress. Little flexibility. External deadlines. Nonsensical scope and sequences. Mostly multiple choice. No formalized discussion and narration times. I am not a fan of computerized education (in most cases) for the above reasons.