Menu

GWG or FLL for first grader?

JessieC

I'm trying to decide between FLL and GWG for my first grader next year. I considered just waiting until second grade for formal grammar study--I don't want to pile it on too thick--or waiting until halfway through the year.

Regarding FLL, I like that it is not another workbook (DD will already be doing ETC) and I like the idea of poetry memorization. I also like that it is considered gentle and only takes a few minutes a day. I am concerned about the repetition and that I would have to tweak or skip too many lessons.

For GWG, I like the writing practice (we will not be doing WWE) and the scope of the Level 1 program. I am hesitant about it because it looks like a lot of information for a first grader to take in and really understand, and again it is another workbook.

DD likes workbooks (at least for now--hope not to kill this!) and is pretty strong in language arts for a first grader? WWYD? FLL, GWG, or simply wait on grammar instruction? Thanks!

If you're doing FLL1 3 days a week, it shouldn't be a big deal with the repetition. I actually did it in 3 weeks with my first grader, but he already understood all the common vs. proper noun stuff, so we were able to breeze through those lessons. It's easy to skip lessons if needed (or just say "Remember xyz? Let's go on to the next lesson."). There is more to the book than just lessons on nouns. ;)

We're doing FLL2 now, and I think it probably would have been a better fit even if we'd started at the beginning of first grade. I will likely do FLL1 with my second son in K. It's really THAT gentle.

I haven't used GWG. I didn't want another workbook. We've enjoyed FLL (well, DS didn't care for FLL1, because it was too easy at the time... He seems to like 2, which is still easy, but not stuff he already knows type easy).

I would not start GWG in 1st. I would definitely choose FLL over GWG if you are starting them young.

When they get older, I'd take into account how they learn (oral/written) to decide. For now, if you are going to do "formal grammar" (well, as formal as FLL is, anyway), I'd definitely go with FLL.

We personally don't do formal grammar until 3rd (and I start with GWG3).

Just chiming in to say I agree with what a pp said. My older DD does GWG, but my middle child will start with FLL in 1st as a gentle introduction with less writing (and I even struggled with whether or not to even do FLL in 1st as I don't think it's necessary at that young of an age). Anyway, I won't switch to GWG until 3rd or 4th grade.