Menu

Hard cast on broken foot?

Sometimes they do an Aircast boot. I see that a lot when I'm typing pediatric orthopedic reports. Very rarely do I see a hard cast, but I've only been typing for about seven months.

Also, my husband broke two bones in his hand and had a half-cast. This was so that the doctor could keep a close eye on the progress in followup appointments. However, he also had pins placed, so that might have something to do with it, too, since he has to check for infection at the pin sites. (I know this little side story doesn't really help you, does it???)

Do you know which bone or bones she broke yet?

My 14yo niece broke her ankle a few months ago, which affected the growth center there. She was given a choice of pins or a BIG hard cast. She picked the big hard cast, up to her upper thigh. After 6 weeks or so, it was a hard cast below the knee, then several weeks with a boot.

My 6yo ds broke both his ulna & radius while sledding in February. He had a big hard cast up to his armpit. The ortho doc thankfully set it under anesthetic, as it had jacknifed in the process.

The cast prevents twisting, which really affects joints like ankles & wrists.

Hang in there. The Xrays showing solid healing are very much a relief.

--Beth

It will depend on where the break is and how severe it is. Two years ago I broke the top of my foot near the front. I had a surgical boot on for 8 weeks. Two weeks ago a lady in our church broke her foot closer to the ankle and has an air cast. Last year my daughter's AWANA teacher broke her foot in two places and was in a hard cast.

Thanks for the info, everyone. I'd never even thought of the aircast type boots, those look sturdy. She's had it in one of the stylish velcro type boots over the weekend to keep it stable and allow for swelling.

She broke the 5th metatarsal clean through, right about in the middle of the bone. Apparently it's a typical dancer break and that's my dd, a dancer at heart. She was dancing around the house on Saturday afternoon in anticipation of going to her graduation prom later that evening. :(

We're just headed out the door to the orthopedic office right now so I'd best get moving. Thanks again :)

A picture of dd's x-ray showing the break on the 5th metatarsal. I think feet just look weirdly elongated in x-rays!

resizedK-footxray.jpg

A picture of dd resting her foot after visiting the orthopedic Dr. this afternoon.

Kfootcast.jpg

Followup: The orthopedic Dr. gave dd the choice of a boot or a cast. As she attends a local high school for afternoon classes, she chose the hard cast as it offered her foot more protection from bumps and bangs while getting around campus.

We'll have her dancing again soon enough. I know this won't keep her down for long ;)