Menu

Scientific Calucater questions... UGH

I really don't like that one. It took me forever to figure it out.

If you want to type in something like 3.7 x 10^4, you have two options:

parentheses are around function keys

3.7 (x) (2nd)(log) 4 (=)

or 3.7 (x) 10 (^) 4 (=)

I like the Casio fx-300es MUCH better. It's much more intuitive.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-FX300ES-2-Line-Scientific-Calculator/dp/B0009OTG6G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304385717&sr=8-1

I really don't like that one. It took me forever to figure it out.

If you want to type in something like 3.7 x 10^4, you have two options:

parentheses are around function keys

3.7 (x) (2nd)(log) 4 (=)

or 3.7 (x) 10 (^) 4 (=)

I like the Casio fx-300es MUCH better. It's much more intuitive.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-FX300ES-2-Line-Scientific-Calculator/dp/B0009OTG6G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304385717&sr=8-1

I really dislike this one also. I am going to order the one you linked and try it. For $15 its worth the try lol. Thank you so much. Dd is about to throw this one out the window :001_huh:

Thanks for showing us how. :001_smile:

Actually, the 30XIIS uses the same keystrokes (just about) as the TI graphing calculators. So if your daughter will be needing a TI later on, it may be worth it to learn on the 30X.

The exponent is just the ^ (diagonal left from the 7).

Three to the second power you'd type as 3^2.

It handles negatives and exponents correctly: -3^2 = -9 (correctly).

You can use the parentheses if you wanted the base to be negative: (-3)^2.

The earlier example with scientific notation can be done in the way Angie mentioned, but most calculators have a way to handle scientific notation and that's with the EE key. On the TI, it's above x^-1.

What you do is type the decimal number, then the EE key, then the power of ten. So in the previous example, 3.7 X 10^4, you'd type

3.7 EE 4.

It's weird as you get started, but it lets you do arithmetic with numbers in scientific notation without worrying about the parentheses and order of operations, so it's useful.

I like the 30XIIS as a basic calculator. The two line display does a good job of letting students see where they may have mistyped something.

:lol: You all have me playing with my calculators. It always amazes how they can be so different. I have the Casio fx-300MS, Ti-30XIIS, and Ti-30XA. The Ti-30XA has a 10(x) (x is superscript) key but it raises 10 to whatever number you put in. The other two the 10(x) key is scientific notation. I don't have the exact Casio mentioned above but between the Casio I have and the Ti-30XIIS, there isn't much difference for 3.7x10(4).

For the Casio fx-300MS you hit 3.7 shift 10(x) (on the log button) 4

For the Ti-30XIIs you hit 3.7 2nd EE (on the x(-1) button) 4 or

you can hit 3.7 2nd 10(x) (on the log button) 4 ). It appears you don't have to close the parenthesis but I'm not sure if that would mess things up in an actual calculation.