Menu

Need non-chocolate, low-cal yummy dessert recipes!

DH's boss is a great woman--- she's really a fair boss, and loves my dh and the work he does. She's a single mom, and is having a hard time right now-- the school system is giving her special-needs dd(7th grade) the runaround, and she's really struggling with her worry over her only child and the necessity of her having a full-time job.

Tomorrow is her birthday, and she's trying to do Weight Watchers, so I wanted to send a little something in to work with dh to give her a lift. Any ideas??? She doesn't care for chocolate (imagine that! :-) and I'm a chocoholic, so when I think "dessert" I think "chocolate."

What yummy treats would you make?

This was what my sister always wanted for her birthday when we were growing up.

YUMMY STRAWBERRY DESSERT

1 large package strawberry jello

1 3/4 c hot water

1 pint fresh strawberries with 1/2 c sugar OR

1 pint frozen strawberries thawed

12 large marshmallows, quartered (or use 48 minis)

1/2 pint heavy cream, whipped

baked angel food cake (1/2 of the amount from a boxed mix)

Note: Double recipe size to fill a standard 9x13 pan.

Combine berries and marshmallows and let stand 1 hour. Prepare jello, let cool until just starting to thicken, then whip. Combine jello and marshmallow mixture, then fold in whipped cream. Line pan (sorry I don't have the measurements but half of a 9x13 sized pan) with broken pieces of angel food cake, Pour mixture over this and let stand in refrigerator overnight.

This isn't exactly low fat but I have swapped the different permutations of low fat/low sugar versions of cool whip for the whipped cream, sugar free jello for regular jello, sweetened the strawberries with splenda instead of sugar and it still works fine and reduces the calories.

Stephanie

Pear and Apricot Cake by The American Heart Association

Vegetable oil spray

9-ounce box single layer white cake mix (like Jiffy)

1/2 cup water

Whites of 2 large eggs

1/4 teaspoon almond extract

1 1/2 medium pears (about 8 ounces), thinly sliced

1/4 cup all-fruit apricot spread

1/4 cup sliced almonds, dry roasted (about 1 ounce)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a 10-inch springform pan with vegetable oil spray.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, water, egg whites, and almond extract. Using an electric mixer, beat on high speed for 4 minutes, scraping the side with a rubber scraper frequently.

Arrange the pears in a decorative pattern in the pan. Gently pour in the batter, being careful not to disturb the pears.

Bake 30 minutes, or until the cake springs back when lightly touched in the center with your fingertips.

Immediately invert onto a serving platter. Remove the side and base of the pan. Let the cake cool completely.

Put the apricot spread in a small microwaveable bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Microwave at 100 percent power (high) for 15 seconds, or until melted. Let stand for 15 seconds to cool slightly. Using a pastry brush, brush the spread over the pears. Sprinkle with the almonds. Cut into 8 wedges.

caolories 195 sodium 217 mg

total fat 4.5 g carbohydrates 36 g

saturated 1.0 g fiber 2 g

polyunsturated .5 g sugar 21 g

monounsaturated 1.0 g protein 3 g

cholesterol 0 mg

Dietary exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat

This cake is a huge hit every time I make it. It is delicious and looks classy!