Menu

Apologia Exploring Creation with Botony

kandty

The hardcover book has everything you need. It includes instructions for notebooking, experiments, and more. Dd used the hardcover by itself last year and learned a lot! And she enjoyed it, too.

The spiral-bound journal is completely optional. It's ideal if you want to have your student fill in worksheets (instead of making their own journal page) and do extra activities, e.g., a crossword, something to cut & paste. IMO it would require more time to complete than the activities in the hardcover book, so it might be a good fit with a highly motivated student who will spend extra time in science.

Another option would be to just do some, not all, of the activities in the spiral-bound journal. But then you might not feel like you're getting everything out of it. ;)

HTH!

If you go onto Apologia's website, click on the botany course, there are notebooking pages to print off. We're working through the botany book and I just print off the notebooking pages for each kid.

Jeannie Fulbright has versions of the notebooks free on her blog (she has them for writers and non writers, so you can take your pick). They're not as pretty as the paid ones at Apologia, but they definitely do the job, and have all of the major pages in them. (I think they're missing crossword games and stuff like that, but they have all of the activity pages.) We use those, along with a wildflower set I got from notebookingpages.com, and any extras I can find on the Elementary Apologia yahoo group. Works for us. :D

Although I'm sure that a year of botany without it would still be very worthwhile, the journal has been a real plus for us. It is spiral bound and has things grouped together in one place. The worksheets are wonderful for reinforcing points of each lesson. Yes, it's fun for hands-on activities, but really it has been more than that. By the time the year is over, dd will have a really nice journal to keep and refer back to. We are more apt to keep a book such as this than another 3-ring binder. All in all, we have used it each and every week and feel that it was worth the money.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Thanks everyone! I went ahead and bought it. I am doing this with two ds, but I just bought one, so I am sure we will use the free resources for my youngest. So thank you for the resources, they look great! :001_smile:

We bought and used the Astronomy journal. But now I am not buying one for Botany. We will just print the free journal pages on her website. The reason is that even though ds enjoyed the journal, he lost momentum half way down because there was just too much to use all. Each concept is repeated in at least three ways, which takes a lot of time. So the notebook looks filled for the first half, but not as much as he moved on to the second half. So we will just use a different way now.

We bought and used the Astronomy journal. But now I am not buying one for Botany. We will just print the free journal pages on her website. The reason is that even though ds enjoyed the journal, he lost momentum half way down because there was just too much to use all. Each concept is repeated in at least three ways, which takes a lot of time. So the notebook looks filled for the first half, but not as much as he moved on to the second half. So we will just use a different way now.

If there are pages we don't need in the journal, we just tear them out. The pages that are left make a really nice keepsake journal and reference book.

Blessings,

Lucinda