Menu

Test Prep

Gamom3

Dc have been doing test prep books since April 7th, 1 page per section. I really don't think they are retaining anything. It's basically busy work to them.

Their Standford test are next week. Would you just keep them on them until then or give them a break?

What advice would you give your kids before they took the test?

I think the most important part of test prep. books is understanding the types of questions, format of the questions, and bubble-filling skills. I don't do them for content anyway. If you feel like your dc are familiar with how the test is set up and how to fill in a bubble, I would stop.

Just my $0.02

I don't really use the test prep books as teaching tools -- things they need to learn and remember, I use them to show me the areas they still do not know or need strengthening in.

I then do a short review of those topics before the test.

I like them because they show me areas I may have neglected as well.

I also should add that I use the Spectrum Test Prep. These books designed to really identify weak areas more than just give test procedure practice.

I think the most important part of test prep. books is understanding the types of questions, format of the questions, and bubble-filling skills. I don't do them for content anyway. If you feel like your dc are familiar with how the test is set up and how to fill in a bubble, I would stop.

Just my $0.02

:iagree: I would just take a break and wait for the tests next week. IMO the greatest value of tests such as the SAT is to see how your child has improved over the year (if you do the tests every year) and to see weak areas your child needs to work on. Relax, or your kids might get nervous! :)

What advice would you give your kids before they took the test?

Advice I gave my dd (specific to her personality, to an extent):

- If you get stuck on something, don't dwell on it. Skip it & move on. Then, come back (remember, that's important!) & try to figure it out once you've finished everything else.

- If you're not sure of the answer, eliminate any answer that you know is incorrect. Then, just look at the narrowed-down choices & try to figure it out from there.

- If 'all of the above', 'none of the above', 'everything is correct' or 'everything is incorrect' are the choices, it's not likely that it will be the correct answer most of the time (lol).

- Ask if you have a question (esp. related about what to do or anything confusing in instructions). It may be something that the person giving the test can't answer, but let that person determine whether they can answer your question or not.

- Don't stress out if you don't finish everything in a section before time is called. Depending on the test you are taking, some sections are meant to be longer/harder than you are able to do in the alloted time -- they just want to see how much you do manage to do in the given amount of time.

- Sometimes the questions themselves contain clues or hints at the answers.

- Always read the instructions. Sometimes instructions are in the middle of text, between questions, etc....

- Don't doodle or otherwise mark the page, other than for your answers. If you need scrap paper for figuring out problems, they will give it to you.

Hmmm. There were a few more things, but I can't think of them right now.