Menu

All I have left to choose is our History for next year...

Mommyfaithe

SO...why is it soooo hard?????

We will be doing the 20th Century with my 8th, 4th and 2nd graders.

I like to do History as a family

I like our writing assignments to be connected to our history reading

I would like a good schedule

I like our Artist, Music Appreciation and composer studies to follow our History cycle.

I want to use SOTW 4 as our narrative.

I need planning to be flexible...but easy.

Due to my chronic illness, I am having trouble writing my own plans....this is really frustrating me because I have ALWAYS written my own plans.

I need to bring my 8th grader up to speed...she has always been a bit behind, but we are approaching the High School level now and I would like her to begin thinking a bit more deeply about the issues we will read about...so, I need GOOD discussion questions.

Would TOG fit the bill here? Can I jump in at year 4? I don't mind doing some plannng...

Any other ideas that will work for this time period?

This should be easy...right?

sigh...

Faithe

If you can get past the cost of TOG or either buy it used, Then of course you have the cost of all the books for all the different levels. If that is not a problem, then Tog is an excellent choice. It has great notes for parents especially to discuss with the highschool students, it also has activities for the lower grammar stage and upper grammar stage. She has it all covered, and plenty of reading. other than cost, i think it is an amazing curriculum, and very intune to the classical bent. nancyt.

Thanks for your reply. It is not the cost that unnerves me, but the book choices. I have tons of books...but not those...lol! And, quite honestly, I am not sure my kids would enjoy the ones suggested.

I have looked at History Odyssey, Biblioplan, TOG, My Father's World, Sonlight.....are there any others to peruse.....

I have this sinking feeling I will have to write my own...again....sigh.....

Faithe

Faithe, look at the history plans at Easyclassical.com! They look really good and are not that expensive AND they use SOTW 4 and the VP and probably most of the books you already have or that are available at your library. I've been contemplating use them, but have decided to just write my own plans, for the same reason, I already have several book that I can use and don't want to/can't afford to buy anymore.

I have looked at Biblioplan. My main issue is most of the Modern Era curricula start with 1815 or 1850. I really..really...really...don't want to step back. i took an entire year with the kids to go from 1776-1898....I would like to begin with the Spanish American War and then just head forward. The only thing I see that covers just the 20th century forward is TOG...and I looked at their book suggestions...and I wasn't too impressed.

I am soooo picky. It drives me nuts. I really am spending more time looking for a pre-made plan, than it would take me to put it together myself. I am just so scatterbrained lately, I don't trust myself enough to just get busy and do it already. It is easier to mindlessly cross things off that won't work for me off my list....ARG!

faithe

I hear by admonish you to let go of your expectations, to realize you have done an awesome job and to therefore and hereafter, at least for this upcoming year, choose a prepared curriculum and go with it. Your health will thank you for it. Your children will never thank you for that year you drove yourself crazy so you could start at the Spanish American War.

I hear by admonish you to let go of your expectations, to realize you have done an awesome job and to therefore and hereafter, at least for this upcoming year, choose a prepared curriculum and go with it. Your health will thank you for it. Your children will never thank you for that year you drove yourself crazy so you could start at the Spanish American War.

:lol::lol::lol:

I meant it kinda ish-y...LOL!

I just don't want to spend another year in a tee pee or a covered wagon...hahaha! I have had enougth wilderness adventures to last about 3 or so years!

I am so tired right now. I have been thinking about this upcoming year. I have realized that I would rather use preplanned curriculum and some textbooks if it means we can keep homeschooling. I don't have it in me to do KONOS units or hardcore waldorf. We are finishing up SOTW 4. I love the CDS btw!!! I keep thinking we should start over. But, I think we will do mostly OM and let them listen to SOTW. I am going to have two toddlers next year. I have never had two toddlers before. I have a feeling it is going to be a big surprise. If we didn't use a VA I would put everyone in SOS:tongue_smilie:

I am so tired right now. I have been thinking about this upcoming year. I have realized that I would rather use preplanned curriculum and some textbooks if it means we can keep homeschooling. I don't have it in me to do KONOS units or hardcore waldorf. We are finishing up SOTW 4. I love the CDS btw!!! I keep thinking we should start over. But, I think we will do mostly OM and let them listen to SOTW. I am going to have two toddlers next year. I have never had two toddlers before. I have a feeling it is going to be a big surprise. If we didn't use a VA I would put everyone in SOS:tongue_smilie:

I have used Text books and prepared curricula before. Really, it is OK...I promise! I wish I could find a stinkin' 20th century History Textbook that I could use as a spine....Finding readers etc is easy. My 13 yo dd is a great escape artist when it comes to school assignments...so she needs a set in stone...do this NOW!

My little guys are little. After math, reading and language arts, it is all gravy. They get what they get.

Take it easy ...you have a new baby and a 1 year old. Sheeesh...that is exhausting. Make things easy as you can on yourself...and no guilt. There are many ways to get a good education and many ways to encourage one....Homeschooling comes in seasons...just like life...and it is ok to use texts or pre-made plans some years. I just wish I could find one for my needs this year!

Faithe