Menu

consequences for cheating?

I agree with the previous poster. All work is redone. Every single problem is done.

I've only had this happen once. My daughter was in 3rd grade and lied about reading a book. She didn't care for the book and instead of telling me that she chose to fake it. Her punishment was to read the entire book aloud to the entire family(it actually turned into one of her favorites).

What would you suggest in the way of significant, logical consequences for cheating (and then lying about cheating) in math for an upper middle school student?

Do you keep grades? I would require the student to re-do the assignment, but he would get a "0" or "F" for it which would count in his grade calculation for the subject for the year.

I would also remind him that a college or university or employer would not be so kind as that. :glare:

This is the second time in the past 4-5 months this has happened. Would you re-do the individual lessons in question OR since it's the second time and we're less than half-way through the book would you start back at the beginning?

I'm very tempted to do this - assigning 2 lessons a day until we're caught up. :glare:

We need to deal with both the character issue at hand, but also the impact that cheating will have on subsequent levels due to the lack of understanding and grasp of concepts that result from not doing the work!

I try to keep balance as this is my dd with seizures and her struggle with math is amplified by the fact that you have to be able to recall and retain the formulas and facts from area to LCM to measurements, etc., and that doesn't come easy for her. However, I do accomodate the memory deficiency with a "reference book" and in other ways, yet discerning between valid struggle and lack of motivation or desire to TRY is tough sometimes.

Can you tell I'm letting myself feel guilty over this? Sigh. . .

Edited by *~Tina~*

I think at this age, and as this is a repeat offense, I would assign some sort of report on the consequences of cheating in the real world. I would also re-assign the work that was not done properly plus an assignment of similar length and content to reinforce the material covered. And whatever the consequence for breaching parental trust is in your household, I'd add that to the list. :glare: I have zero tolerance for dishonesty.

Find out why they're cheating and then address that. If it's a lack of understanding and/or reluctance to request help, then maybe more direct instruction going forward, and encouraging questions. If the student already understands the material very well and is bored by it and just wanted to rush through, then maybe move ahead to a higher level. (Not to condone cheating as a communication method, I mean -- saying "I'm bored" or "I don't understand this" is obviously better -- but to address whatever the underlying issue is.) If it's a time issue, figure out various time-management plans, or ways to break up the work if possible, or different schedules, etc. If it's lack of interest, then maybe a different approach (maybe in addition to, maybe instead of, whatever the current work is).

I think there are different reason that people cheat, and how to deal with it kind of depends on what the reasons are.

Edited by Crispa

This is the second time in the past 4-5 months this has happened. Would you re-do the individual lessons in question OR since it's the second time and we're less than half-way through the book would you start back at the beginning?

I'm very tempted to do this - assigning 2 lessons a day until we're caught up. :glare:

We need to deal with both the character issue at hand, but also the impact that cheating will have on subsequent levels due to the lack of understanding and grasp of concepts that result from not doing the work!

I try to keep balance as this is my dd with seizures and her struggle with math is amplified by the fact that you have to be able to recall and retain the formulas and facts from area to LCM to measurements, etc., and that doesn't come easy for her. However, I do accomodate the memory deficiency with a "reference book" and in other ways, yet discerning between valid struggle and lack of motivation or desire to TRY is tough sometimes.

Can you tell I'm letting myself feel guilty over this? Sigh. . .

If Math is already a tough subject for her, then weighing her down with double lessons will be a discipline that will probably backfire. I would have her redo the work, and make sure it doesn't happen in the future by making her do Math at the table with you, with no resources available for cheating. (Answer keys, etc.) Supervision is key here, and teaching her to work through difficult subjects instead of giving up and taking the easy route.

Being able to work independently is a privilege that is earned with maturity and trustworthiness.