Menu

Help! My cat has a horrible cold

I have 3 cats - 2 kittens 1 full grown - 1 of the kittens and the full grown cat both had the same thing - one eye that was swollen and running, sneezing and just not feeling well. Slept a lot - they got better after about a week - my other little kitten (the little girl) now has the same thing but her little nose is so stopped up she is having a hard time breathing. Is there anything I can do here at home w/out having to go to the vet that might help?

I feel so sorry for her. :(

Honestly, I would take her to the vet, especially if she is having trouble breathing. I have one cat with asthma and he almost died from what I thought was "just a cough".

I won't make that mistake again. Cat's symptoms are so different than ours that I find it's best to just take them to the vet. BTW, I love our vet; he is so good with our cats. No, I don't like the prices he charges, but I'm willing to pay them because I love my cats.

Please take her to the vet. :)

But tomorrow will have to do.

If you want, you can do it yourself, if you are comfortable with it. I just did my cats today, and wrote a draft of a blog post that I was going to post sometime soon. LOL!

Distemper affects them as you are describing. Some cats get over it--others die. You do not want to let your kitten go too long.

The distemper shot, according to my vet, is good for any ordinary respiratory problems--seems to help support that system in their body. It is given every year, and if you want to learn how to give it, have the vet teach you when you are there. It isn't hard--and it is a lot less expensive to pick up the vacine and give it yourself.

HTH.

P.S.--If they've had their vaccinations, you can still call the vet and see what they suggest. If it is close to the time when they need their shots again, you could move them up. Cats get colds like we do--but mine usually get them at the end of the distemper "year".

Sorry to hear that your kitty is sick. Ours was and we waited, and waited and finally I took him in on Friday. Found out that he has pneumonia. I am praying that he gets better. He's almost 13 and the dr. said that his kidneys are starting to fail, but not to give up hope yet. He gave him a shot and today it seems his appetite is coming back, but he goes back in two weeks and we'll see how he's doing. Anyway, just for your peace of mind, you should probably take him in. I know it was hard for us, we really didn't have the money for the vet bill, but he's part of the family and when you have kids you do everything you can to make sure your pet makes it. (well almost everything, if Rajah isn't better in two weeks, then we'll go from there, but won't keep sinking money into him)

Kristine

I will call the vet and see when I can get her in. I am sure it's the right thing to do I can't stand to see that poor baby suffer. And she isn't eating and it worries me.

When you call, be sure to tell them that she hasn't been eating. They should see her the same day you call. If they can't fit her in, ask where else you could take her.