Menu

Cursive for Left-handers

JRmommy

My son is interested in learning cursive. We've been loosely using HWT for manuscript, but I really don't like the way their cursive looks. Also, I've been wondering if there is a cursive curriculum better suited for left handers. I am not sure if it is necessary for him to have to slant his cursive letters the way right handers do. Shouldn't they slant their letters the opposite way? Anyway, if anyone has cursive suggestions for left handers, I'd love to hear about them! :)

Dh and I are both left-handed and I'm starting my 5yo on cursive next month. I'm going to use Cursive First. Both dh and I slant our cursive the same way a right-handed writer does. I will expect the same of my ds. However, I won't worry too much about slant at first, I'll focus on letter formation and refine slant later.

Dh and I are both left-handed and I'm starting my 5yo on cursive next month. I'm going to use Cursive First. Both dh and I slant our cursive the same way a right-handed writer does. I will expect the same of my ds. However, I won't worry too much about slant at first, I'll focus on letter formation and refine slant later.

That is interesting to know. We don't have any left handed family members. So, I didn't realize that the slant could be in the same direction as right handers. Thanks for sharing that information!

I am a lefty, so is my mom, so is my daughter. Any cursive curriculum should be fine as long as you are flexible with it. I started my dd with A Beka, but switched to HWT because it seemed like a better fit. My dd liked how they didn't have the loops on the lower case h, k, and p, for instance. The loops on those were hard for her. After awhile, we switched to A Reason for Handwriting, because I don't like how HWT makes connections between letters. If I had to do it over again, I would either start with RFH or do New American Cursive (Memoria Press) or Cheerful Cursive, but mainly because I like the looks of the cursive.

I personally do not slant my cursive. It's pretty straight up and down. I don't backslant it, but I don't necessarily slant it like righties do. My mother does slant it like a right. My dd writes cursive straight up and down. Just be flexible with a lefty.

We used HWT for DS9 when he was learning manuscript writing. This past year, he used Zaner-Bloser Cursive 3 (http://www.zaner-bloser.com/educator/products/handwriting/index.aspx?id=6204) to learn to write cursive (we picked that because we liked the look of the font). The ZB workbook first has the student learning the various strokes needed to write cursive. Like HWT, they have the sample letters/words above the line instead of to the left, which makes it easier for lefties to copy. DS liked the workbook, and has nice cursive handwriting (for a 3rd grader). :001_smile: So, it has worked out for him.

What's important for the student is proper pencil-grip, and slanting the paper with the left corner slightly higher than the right.

P.S. You don't need the teachers manual for Zaner-Bloser. The student book is pretty self-explanatory.

Wow, I didn't know there was a lefty book for it! :lol:

We have a lefty too and the only thing I try to be aware of for him is that the binding of books can get in his way. Which means I might make our own paper for him with the StartWrite program and bind it across the top of the page so his hands have no issues.

We've only just begun with cursive {past month} and I taught him his name first because he'd be able to know all the letters in it easily. From there I plan to use the books from Queens until he's firmly set with cursive, then we'll just have him use it in daily practice. :)

I'm a lefty. I use Getty-Dubay Italics with my kids. It is the closest curriculum to my natural writing which is mostly connected printing. It is easy and legible. Learning traditional looped cursive was difficult for me. I remember getting "messy work" on many of my papers in school because I couldn't get the slant.