Menu

Prentice Hall Science Explorer-what do I need/how did you use?

Ann@thebeach

I have 6 of the books that I want to start using now and through next year for my now 6th grader (7th grader next yr).

My editions are 2000.

I've looked through some of the old threads but still not sure what I need to buy to go with it???

It looks like I can get:

-Lab Zone Easy Planner-this is a planning guide for the teacher??

-PHSE Lab Activity DVD library-short videos of all the labs

-Science Explorer Video Explorations by Discovery channel-like little field trips of the subjects?

-student workbooks for each book-haven't read anything about these-are they needed?

----------------------------------------------------------------

So I think I want the Lab Activity DVD library because that would be handy.

DO I really "need" any of the other things besides the main book we are reading?

Finally, do you let your student read these on their own and report back to you or how do you implement?

Thanks!

:bigear:

I have 6 of the books that I want to start using now and through next year for my now 6th grader (7th grader next yr).

My editions are 2000.

I've looked through some of the old threads but still not sure what I need to buy to go with it???

It looks like I can get:

-Lab Zone Easy Planner-this is a planning guide for the teacher??

-PHSE Lab Activity DVD library-short videos of all the labs

-Science Explorer Video Explorations by Discovery channel-like little field trips of the subjects?

-student workbooks for each book-haven't read anything about these-are they needed?

----------------------------------------------------------------

So I think I want the Lab Activity DVD library because that would be handy.

DO I really "need" any of the other things besides the main book we are reading?

Finally, do you let your student read these on their own and report back to you or how do you implement?

Thanks!

I have the WB's and I like them but you don't need them. They're just an in depth version of the questions at the end of each section. We also have the Lab book, it explains how to do the bigger labs from the books, there's 1 lab book per each subject (i.e. Earth/ Life/Physical) Since you have 6 of the books, I'm assuming they are from 2 or all 3 of the subjects, the lab book might not work for you.

I read to mine, this takes forever, because we stop to talk about it as we go. My preferred way:D. I have a soon to be 3rd grader so I have to explain a lot, my 5th gr. gets it NP.

We watch a lot of documentaries as well. This help with retention (for mine ) better then anything else.

ETA: I saw your other post, and the Physical is the hardest of the 3. Earth is first, then Life. But if you and DC are able, Physical is going to be more fun I would think.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

We have a mix of the topics:

Sound and Light

Motion, Forces and Energy

Human Biology and Health

From Bacteria to Plants

Chemical Interactions

Chemical Building Blocks

I didn't buy these topics for any specific reason-this is just what they had at Goodwill ;)

My son wants to start with Motion, Forces, and Energy.

• 2 weeks later...

The Lab Zone EZ Planner cd-rom gives you all the teacher information for every lab in the entire program. It also has troubleshooting ideas for some of the labs that can be finicky.

Don't bother with the dvds. They're lame. I bought one for my dyslexic dd, but they looked like they were designed for elementary school students.

I like the workbooks. They aren't at all necessary, but my oldest and middle dds found that they got more out of the program by using the workbooks. My youngest doesn't do well with workbooks, so I haven't had her do them. You should know that there is no answer key for the workbooks. The answers should be pretty obvious to you if you read the chapter though.

The physical science books are the hardest, but my middle dd started with Motion, Forces, and Energy and then did Sound and Light because those were the topics she was most interested in.

Here is a thread that may be helpful:

OK. Now That I've bought Prentice Hall Science Explorer, How Do I Plan the Lessons?

I bought the student book, teacher book, and guided reading and study workbook. I have a sample of the latter. Email me if you would like it. I bought the Lab Zone CD but rarely used it. I had a couple of student books on CD-ROM. They were user unfriendly. It seems that many people go without the teacher book. I needed all the help I could get.

Edited by Sue in St Pete

Thanks Sue, that was helpful.

I did buy the teacher lab CD but it hasn't arrived yet.

My books are mostly the 2000 editions.

Can I still get a workbook for these editions? Are they sold through PH?

What are the guided readings? Additional readings from other books?

I see you got through 5 books in 6th-8th grades. We are just starting now at the end of 6th but I'm hoping to still get through 5 or 6 books since we'll go through the summer and plan on doing science 3x a week.

Should I just pick 2 books from each area (earth, life, physical) or were there any that you particularly liked or disliked?

Thanks!

Edited by Ann in IA

Thanks Sue, that was helpful.

I did buy the teacher lab CD but it hasn't arrived yet.

My books are mostly the 2000 editions.

Can I still get a workbook for these editions? Are they sold through PH?

What are the guided readings? Additional readings from other books?

I see you got through 5 books in 6th-8th grades. We are just starting now at the end of 6th but I'm hoping to still get through 5 or 6 books since we'll go through the summer and plan on doing science 3x a week.

Should I just pick 2 books from each area (earth, life, physical) or were there any that you particularly liked or disliked?

Thanks!

I am not sure if you can get workbooks for the 2000 editions or not. Angie has more experience with that edition than I do. If I remember correctly, there was a big change around 2005. I always bought the workbooks through PH since they are consumable. They are worksheets to go along with the student text. Email me and I will send you a sample. To email me, click on my name and a menu will come up. Choose email.

We used SE in conjunction with TOPS and Exploration Education, so it was only 1/2 of our science program. I believe 3 per year is fairly standard with more for those who really like science. As stated earlier, earth is easier than life is easier than physical. I just let ds choose which ones he wanted to work on. Sound and Light and Motion, Forces, and Energy were enjoyable. Science is not a particular passion here.