Menu

Teaching Textbooks question...

michaeljenn

We have done Saxon our entire homeschool career.... K-algebra 1/2. It is just becoming so time consuming and I am having a difficult time re-learning the math to help teach it to my children. Honestly, the wording in Saxon sometimes leave me baffled:tongue_smilie: Maybe it is because it is just busy and i cannot find the time to really think:001_huh: Also, my kids are having a hard time getting it as well.

Anyway, on to my question... I am considering making the switch to teaching textbooks. Is the way things are taught in TT easy to get/grasp? Or, will I just be in the same boat as I am with Saxon, just out several hundred dollars.

Thanks

I think teaching textbooks is very easy for my daughter to understand. It does focus heavily on "how" to do math and not really on the concepts underlying "why" you do an algorithm the way you do it. I think it's worth supplementing with some manipulatives and further explanations. I'd just check out samples from a variety of TT levels and see how you and your kids feel about it.

We are nearly done with our second year of TT and we are completely sold on the effectiveness and ease of use. I do not have to teach math to my dd because the tutor is in the program. She is gaining in knowledge and understanding of math concepts, and is advancing with above average scores. One thing I also appreciate is that I can put my efforts as her teacher into other subjects now.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Yes!

I took one look at Saxon 5/4 and my eyes bled. Yuck. TT has been FANTASTIC this past year (5th grade, TT5). It is SO easy for my daughter to "get." The tutor is endlessly patient, knows his subject, shows AND tells step by step what needs to be done, and explains it in a simple way that doesn't give anyone a headache. Love it.

I have a detailed review of TT and how great it's been and why and my daughter's standardized test results for math, too, here:

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/124221.html