Menu

April ACT scores are online

For anyone who might have forgotten, today's the first day the April ACT scores are posted online. ;)

Middle son did fine - not as good as he had hoped, but he upped his composite and 3 of 4 subscores from last time. As he suspected, it was definitely an easier test this time (for some sections anyway) as the curve was harsh - esp for Reading - the only one of his that went down (and he only had -2). Most of his schools will superscore, so we might send the last test scores if they care about the reading. As far as I know, most prefer the math/English scores and he did just fine with those.

I hope everyone gets good news! Homeschoolers doing well helps us ALL!

Summing up a little more from college confidential's ACT site (feel free to read the whole thing there), the science curve seems really harsh too. That's the most difficult one to tell since they don't give subscores, but no one has posted a 35 nor 33 on science - leading to the theory that those scores don't exist for this testing date. It it holds, this means only two mistakes led to a 32...

Harsh.

But it matches middle son's assessment of the test right after he took it. I just wish he hadn't been one of those who missed 2 on science! He was thinking he'd only missed one based on cc's discussion after the test - obviously, he missed at least one other. It should be a consolation to him to read about the harsh curve.

Hi Creekland, the science curve was brutally harsh our dd's senior year, but not so the previous two years. I hate this stuff, I hate this stuff, I hate this stuff....no fan of high stakes testing and no way out of it. GRRRR

Ds will take it for the first time a year from now and he's a ball of nerves about high stakes tests so though he's a real brain and will do both online practice tests and Princeton's ACT study book, I don't think we will see a good showing the first time out and am trying to remind myself that this is okay. He's going to have to overcome his nerves before he is going to test well and this is just a far cry from the ITBS so the only thing to do is hang on until he matures and settles down.

Hope all of you are happy with the scores!

Faith

Hi Creekland, the science curve was brutally harsh our dd's senior year, but not so the previous two years. I hate this stuff, I hate this stuff, I hate this stuff....no fan of high stakes testing and no way out of it. GRRRR

Ds will take it for the first time a year from now and he's a ball of nerves about high stakes tests so though he's a real brain and will do both online practice tests and Princeton's ACT study book, I don't think we will see a good showing the first time out and am trying to remind myself that this is okay. He's going to have to overcome his nerves before he is going to test well and this is just a far cry from the ITBS so the only thing to do is hang on until he matures and settles down.

Hope all of you are happy with the scores!

Faith

I'm not a fan of harsh curves nor of the time constraints, but, as you mentioned, there's not much one can do about it if one wants to head to certain colleges, esp from homeschooling. Middle son does well with it, so our complaints are minor at best - and totally specific to his needs/desires.

Youngest son is not a fast processor so the time constraints are really going to hit him hard in a year or two. It will really bug him to not be able to finish math, science, and reading in time and the stress could be high. I'm not looking forward to it. Fortunately, for what he wants to do, super high scores won't be as necessary. Unfortunately, it also means we're going to be paying more for him to attend college, so I hope the economy improves by then.

I plan to let him take the PSAT and ACT in 10th grade when it 100% won't count just so he can be mentally prepared for 11th. Hopefully it will help (and not make things worse).

My oldest never stressed about anything (nor studied for the tests) and still did quite well only taking it once. He didn't worry about curves or how many he had missed. He barely glanced at his scores. He's doing well in college with nice merit aid. I guess their birth order was God's way of getting me prepared for it all (easiest to most stressed).

I just got the scores for my 9th grader and he had a composite score of 24.

Math - 27

Science - 24

Reading - 24

English - 22

This was his first time taking the test.

I'd say he's looking at nice scores for 9th grade! ;)

Thanks for posting this--just checked. Dd pulled up her composite to a 29, English stayed the same at 30, sci up a point to 28, math up two points to a 27 (that was the biggie that was holding her back for USNA), and reading up a point to 31 (got to send in that 33 from freshman year). I know she was hoping for a 30, but every little bit helps!

Reading is where middle son dropped two points too. It is a bummer when that happens, but one can't complain - the scores are great!

Overall, I still say I love it when homeschoolers do well. Any of these scores (including the 24 - for college bound juniors) would match or beat what the vast majority of students get in the ps where I teach (or the SAT equivalent of those scores). When homeschoolers do well, we all benefit.

DS16, who is a sophomore, just got his scores. This was his first try. He put in quite a bit of effort preparing. Currently, he wants to go to USAF Academy, so he's fairly close to where he wants to be for that.

English - 30

Reading - 33

Science - 32

Math - 27

Composite - 31

For some of the math, like Alg II & Trig, he hasn't had the coursework yet. We paid for the detailed report, so that we could see the areas upon which to concentrate when preparing for his next try. I think he's going to take it again in September with the hope of getting it up to 32 or 33. If he does, he will be finished with it and won't have to worry about it during his junior and senior years.

Also, the 31 is currently the minimum to receive Bright Flight scholarship money in Missouri if he doesn't make USAFA or decides to do something different between now and then.

Edited by Chelle in MO

I'm not homeschooling my son any longer, but we have continued to afterschool English grammar and Latin. And I am so glad we have!

His composite score was a 32 (up from 27 last year), and he scored perfectly in English and Reading.

He has worked so hard this year. Three AP classes during his regular school day, the extra stuff I've asked of him after school, plus his job as a tutor of a couple of young guys in Jr. High. I am so proud of the effort he is giving this year.

I'm not homeschooling my son any longer, but we have continued to afterschool English grammar and Latin. And I am so glad we have!

His composite score was a 32 (up from 27 last year), and he scored perfectly in English and Reading.

He has worked so hard this year. Three AP classes during his regular school day, the extra stuff I've asked of him after school, plus his job as a tutor of a couple of young guys in Jr. High. I am so proud of the effort he is giving this year.

Sounds great!

Can I join in the ACT happy dance?:001_smile:

Our 2 oldest took it, and both scored a 28 composite! They were pretty psyched. My oldest got a 35 on the English and the younger got a 32 on the reading. Guess we know we can focus on the math/science sections for next time!

Congrats to all of you.

Can I join in the ACT happy dance?:001_smile:

Our 2 oldest took it, and both scored a 28 composite! They were pretty psyched. My oldest got a 35 on the English and the younger got a 32 on the reading. Guess we know we can focus on the math/science sections for next time!

Congrats to all of you.

Absolutely! Those are great scores!!