Menu

I have an IEW Ancients dilemma

This year we did ancient history, but never got around to starting IEW's Ancient History Writing.

I can't decide if I should have my daughter start now and try to finish by the end of summer (that would give her 4 months), or if I should have her start in September and not be concerned about studying Medieval history while doing an Ancient history writing program.

The one nice thing about starting ancients next year is that she'll already be familiar with the stories.

... or is it better to reinforce what she's learning by adding relevant writing assignments??

:willy_nilly: This is really starting to drive me nuts!!!! Can somebody please just tell me what to do? :)

The history content really isn't that much in the history-based books and everything you need is there. Of course it is better if they're generally familiar with what is going on, but I've had kids in my classes who received minimal history instruction at home and did beautifully with those books.

If you do part of the ancient book over the summer, I'd do all of the first IEW Unit and then pick the first assignment in each Unit after that and call it done unless you really get into one technique and want to do more. In my experience, rushing through assignments is a disaster with IEW. That would get your writing in and you'd be ready for the next one in the fall, hopefully to do the majority of the assignments.

I would start it with the new school year. I agree that the history part is pretty minimal. It's the techniques you learn that are so important. We spent all year in Medieval and really enjoyed it, but didn't learn more about history. I guess I liked that it dovetailed, but if I had used the program out of sync with what I was doing in history we would have still gotten a ton out of it. I'd be afraid if you started it now that you would be trying too hard to rush it and you don't want to do that.

I would start it with the new school year. I agree that the history part is pretty minimal. It's the techniques you learn that are so important. We spent all year in Medieval and really enjoyed it, but didn't learn more about history. I guess I liked that it dovetailed, but if I had used the program out of sync with what I was doing in history we would have still gotten a ton out of it. I'd be afraid if you started it now that you would be trying too hard to rush it and you don't want to do that.

:iagree:

Do you school through the summer anyway? If not, I'd just start in Sept.

No, I just make them finish up anything that wasn't completed during the school year (not much), read (we do a fun reading challenge), and a little math to keep their brains sharp.

:iagree: too.