Menu

Could use some prayers please

Our 9yo accidently swallowed some quarters a few days ago (he was tapping them against his teeth when his brother suprised him and down they went). The doctor at the ER said to give it til this weekend for him to pass them, if he doesn't then they will need to go in and get them. So far, no sign of the quarters and ds is getting scared. Frankly, dh and I are nervous too. Thankfully ds hasn't had any pain or discomfort and is eating and using the bathroom regularly, just hasn't passed those pesky quarters yet.

I'm beginning to think I should expect a medical emergency to happen with every holiday as that is what seems to happen the last few years, lol! :001_smile:

My now 9yr old (then 6yr old) swallowed a quarter. We were never completely sure of it's passing. We did our best to coach him on what to look for, but he was in Kindergarten at a PS. It's been 3 yrs without issue.

On a funny note. Dh would ask him anything passed and about a day later he said, "Dad, it passed!!! I saw it in the urinal." :001_huh:

Someone in our family has an unaccounted for marble, or maybe does not have an unaccounted for marble.

"What do you have in your mouth?"

GULP.

"Nothing."

"Didn't I tell you not to put marbles in your mouth?"

Tearful response: "Yes."

We were told by ER personnel to keep smashing the ... you know, and we did for a time, but we never found it. There may have been times when we didn't get to it in time, IYKWIM.

Medical emergencies happen to some families frequently. It used to happen to us when the kids were younger.:001_smile:

I'm sorry. You asked for prayers.

Quarters are a bigger deal. Praying for your son. Please don't worry. I've been in similar situation, but they never said surgery so I know your son's is more serious.

Edited by gingerh
Apology

prayers sent your way...

on another note, I am an adult, who, as a small child, swallowed a penny.

the doctor said to keep checking to make sure 'it' passed. I was still in diapers, so my mother....um....saved... them all day until my father got home to ....search for the penny....

needless to say, I was stubborn even then. I 'held' onto that penny for almost 10 days.

it really is a favorite story of my parents to this day. yeah, me.

Robin in NJ

whatever happened to the quarters??

robin

So far, no sign of them. Dh contacted the pediatrician, they said not to worry about it, that most likely he has already passed it and forgot to tell us he went #2 or they are still in there. They said that even if they are still in there, they don't have sharp edges and the metals aren't really toxic and as long as ds isn't in pain and is going the bathroom regularly to not fret, they'll pass eventually. They said that if in another week we still haven't seen them, we can take him it to have an xray done to determine if he's still got em in there.

Ds is doing fine, feels well, going the bathroom normal, more curious than anything if the quarters are still in his stomach or not. ;)

So, we aren't really happy with the ER dr scaring ds for really no reason, but what ya gonna do?

When my middle dd was 10 months old she ate some valentine stickers my MIL sent to eldest. Eldest was watching me change her diaper the next day and suddenly said (with a gasp), "she has valentine poopy!!! That means she's in love!"

Oh my goodness, that was the laugh I needed. That is so sweet! :D:lol:

If one year olds can pass nickels 9 year olds are bound to pass quarters. Sending a prayer your way!

Thanks, that's pretty much how we feel, that he'll be just fine. He has at least learned his lesson not to put money anywhere near his mouth anymore. Now our 2yo, she's another matter, I grabbed a penny out of her mouth just in time this morning. :glare: