Menu

I love the way HOD is set up, BUT....

Mommyfaithe

I don't want to use HOD....

Does anyone know how I can make up a template like theirs?...that way I can use my own books and subjects?

Really, I just mean boxes I can type in. How do I make borders on my text boxes...lame huh??

Also, would it be a copyright infringement to use that type of layout ....totally different books...for the most part.....except for ones we typically use from Sonlight, VP, WTM etc. That she also uses. I am not looking to steal her plans...just make my own on that type of layout.

Faithe

In Word, your textboxes should already have borders when you make them. It should be simple enough to insert 4 (or more) textboxes on a page, save it, and then use it as a template. Have you tried it yet? Once you insert your textbox, you can double click it so that "format textbox" comes up and then you can adjust the border lines (weight, dashed or solid, color) under the "colors and lines" tab.

ETA: I don't think the format would be a copyright issue, unless (maybe) you wanted to sell it.

When Winter Promise first came out, people were upset that it looked so much like Sonlight. They used the same grid. It wasn't copyright infringement to do that, so I doubt it could be copyright infringement to use the boxes. It's just the format.

Jennifer

Guest RecumbentHeart

I have thought the exact same thing. DH offered to print up a template for me.

I think I would make mine a weekly thing over a daily thing though. There was a substitute teacher in my primary school that would do that - put up all the activities for the week in bubbles on the chalkboard and let us plan out our own week, coming to him for help as needed or to check off our work as we completed stuff. I loved that teacher. (my plan is obviously for me though, not for my Ker ... just to be clear).

oh, and I think DH was intending to use Excel .. or whatever it's called.

Edited by RecumbentHeart

I seriously thought about doing this. We are doing LHFHG right now and I just love the layout. Next year we will be moving to the WTM method, but I didn't want to give up the layout. I was going to make my own in word, as the pp discribed BUT then I realized that I want a bit more flexibility, specifically the ability to move faster in one subject than another or slow down a bit. That is a totally personal choice, but what I decided on was a check list of subjects per day all on one page (I have some that change per day of the week , just like HOD) and then write lesson plans per subject, to be kept with the subject books. This way there is not quite the ridgidness of a year of preplanned boxes, but I get to see an overview of the day on one page. Just wanted to offer a possible other option.

I made one in iWork while I was trying to figure out what to do. I just didn't think I could get the whole thing done with interesting projects (what we're missing) without tons of time (June 1) so.... I bought HOD but I'll be working on school year 2012-2013 this year. That should give me time to find good things to do (unless we really love HOD and we stay there, but I hate to give up SOTW, blah, blah, blah). Anyway, the template itself wasn't hard.

Thanks everyone...I forgot about that elusive boarder button. I am going to try to make my own...

The curricula I use has lots of projects and experiments , hands on stuff etc...but I keep forgetting to plan it out....so it doesn't get done. Grid programs make me dizzy...and check boxes make me feel rebellious :D

I really like the looks of HOD, but I already have so many books and curricula to do the job, and do it well...that I feel silly buying something when what I have is working well....but just needs organization.

Thanks

Faithe

I bet you could make your individual subject plans in a list form and then have them automatically inserted into your template. It would be like when you insert automatic fields into a mailing list. Then, as you change your schedule (if you wanted to move faster or slower) your "boxes" would change.

I have done this kind of stuff with MS Access, but you could do it with Word and Excel.