Menu

Feeling like a grammar failure!

kandty

We are using FLL 3 for my 4th grader this year and I think we are going to have to throw in the towel. Retention is almost zero and he hates it. I am not liking it just because of his complaints and the look on his face while doing a lesson, but I love that all the work is done for me and I so want it to work. I didn't even read WTM until January and was so glad that we were at least doing something right. Before reading WTM I was confused on grammar. I couldn't decided if I wanted to do the CM method or the classical and after reading the WTM I finally understood and decided that formal grammar was good, but I still don't want to overload my children. I am using FLL 1/2 with my first grader and we are both happy with it and will move into the second part next school year. I have researched way too many hours on what grammar to use for next year for my oldest. I finally gave up and we are just using Language of God from CHC. It is just a workbook style and it is Catholic and we like the stories of Saints used in the examples and activities. I plan to find something better for his 6th grade year, but we will come to that a year from now during planning. Story got long, but what do I do for the rest of this year? We have 6 weeks of school left and I feel like a failure to just not do any grammar during this time. :confused:

Michael Clay Thompson's Grammar Curriculum is one choice that may supply the "love." My son and his friends really enjoy it. The body of the program is presented in a story format. Start with Grammar Island and Practice Island and move on to the Town level. It is a sit on the couch and work together sort of program, funny, and good for boys. It does focus on the parts of the sentence, the parts of speech, phrases and clauses. It does not really go into usage (good vs. well, etc.) or verb tense. It does not include diagraming.

If you want a workbook style that goes over all grammar and usage topics including diagramming look at Growing with Grammar. It is written to the child, direct, and not overwhelming or onerous. My kids have enjoyed it very much.

I really liked MCT Grammar Island and Sentence Island for helping my dd develop a love of grammar. It's so much fun for this age. Now I think I can hand her any grammar book and she will do well, because she sees grammar as a fun and interesting subject that is worth learning.

Before we did MCT, we'd tried FLL and GWG, and she thought they were the boring-est books ever and hated doing grammar.

Thank you everyone! Great support and suggestions. MCT has caught my eye, but the website was hard for me to use and so I gave up looking at it. But, of course this was on of the last ones I looked at and I think I have looked at everything! So, I was really losing it at that point. :lol: I have a friend who uses it, so I might take a look at hers. Looking into the Sentence Family suggestion now. I may just forget about grammar and spend more time on spelling and math, which is needed. I am feeling better about ignoring grammar for the rest of the schol year.